Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queensland Bottle Tree

Posted by TrooperRat 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 19:25

I saw one of these at a home, it was a mature tree at least 20 feet tall. It had a bottle like appearance to it, hence the name bottle tree. But this is a Queensland bottle tree and it's base trunk gets REALLY fat! Very cool looking tree and the only one I ever saw was at that house. Does anyone else have one? I just bought a sapling off of Ebay and planted it straight into the ground (versus leaving it in a pot for a few years as I have read others have done with them). It is growing nicely and putting out new leaves. Hopefully will survive the upcoming winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queensland Bottle Tree

Interesting tree. Doesn't sound like a tree for anyone without a lot of patience as it seems to take many years to develop its unique fat trunk. Australia seems to be the mecca for strange fauna and flora.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aussie bottle tree

o

I've looked for a long time now and this was the first time I actually found a sapling versus everyone else selling seeds. I wanted to bypass the seed planting part and at least have something that is already growing, but you are correct, it will be a long time before it actually starts looking like an actual bottle tree. Like minimum 4 or 5 years and that's just at the beginning of it. But, I don't mind, I'm just glad to get something started. I am going to buy a couple of more and plant them around the property.

o

Congrats on the sapling. Any pics?? Good luck and definitely keep us posted! Happy gardening, and thanks for sharing!

o

Yeah, I took some seeds off a tree near San Diego. I haven't sprouted them yet.

o

Well, it's been a while and yes, it's a very slow growing tree. It's only a foot and a half tall but it is doing well. The recent frost didn't affect it at all. I guess it apparently has growing seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here