Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbym_gw

Anyone grow Michelia alba???

Has anyone grown this tree/bush in the Phoenix area, or anyone know if it will grow here? I'd love to grow this plant, supposed to smell fantastic.

Comments (21)

• sharonlf
    18 years ago

I don't have a Michelia Alba but I do have a Michelia figo, which is similar. This was my first summer for it. I kept it in a pot first so I could move it around until I found a spot that it liked. It does not like the hot sun but made it nicely through the summer in a spot that gets mostly shade with only a small amount of dappled sun. The Albas are hard to find and quite expensive.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

I saw a M. figo on Logee's website - their prices are outrageous, but I guess they can ask it for a reason. I've also seen M. champak (the Joy perfume tree?) at mgonline, but they're out, now. I'd just like to smell one, just once!

• judy_b
    18 years ago

I just looked it up on an other site. They say it smells like juicy fruit gum. $39 for a 1 gallon plant. Pretty expensive chewing gum.

• usha
    18 years ago

I am growing it in a container on the patio. It did well despite our summer. Has not bloomed yet however. JudyB..it does not remind me of bubble gum..it is more like a cross between jasmine and plumeria..to my nose anyway.

• judy_b
    18 years ago

Usha, where did you get your M. alba? A cross between jasmine and plumeria sounds very tasty!

• usha
    18 years ago

unmentionable site!!

• judy_b
    18 years ago

Rats! It was one of those $39 ones, then?

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Usha, I hope you keep us updated on your plant. If it can be successfully grown here (I mean bloom, not just alive!) I'd love to hear about it.

• alba-mickey
    15 years ago

I have a 19 years old Michelia Alba tree. It is about 25 feet tall. Each year it has about 2000 very fragant flowers. The smell of the flowers a GREAT. I am living in San Francisco,Ca. I have the mickelia alba tree ground in mybackyard. Want to see the pictures and the flowers. Please email to me.
    alba-mickey

• phxplantaddict
    14 years ago

azleatherking@aol.com has these for sale in PHX very reasonable prices

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

I've got a couple left of this years crop if anyone wants. BLOOMING!

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

Where are you located, how big are the plants, and how much $? I might be interested.

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

35th ave & Bell 15 gallon $99 Been through 2 complete AZ summers and winters. I will have some 5 gallon available this fall-winter at approx $69-79

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

I would definately be interested in either the 15 gallon or the 5 gallon ones. Can you provide an email or phone #?

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

602-993-5540 Don

• Mickey Kwok
    11 years ago

Yes, I grow my Michelia Alba tree in my backyard in San Francisco. That tree have been growing in my backyar almost f30 years and it is about 30feet tall. Each year it bloom a lot of very fragrant flowers. If want to see mrepictre of my lbra abla please email to me. Let me tell you a good news on my micheia alba, on June 2011 I airlayered my michelia alba andon July 16 2012 I discovered that the airlayered branch was rooting. What a surprise!!!

• Mickey Kwok
    11 years ago

By the way here is my michelia alba tree in my backyard in San Francisco for almost 30 years and it is about 39 feet talls.

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

Beautiful trees, hardy to the mid 20's. I have 32 of these, 3 in ground, 29 in containers. Extremely fragrant and easy to grow.

• Mickey Kwok
    11 years ago

Here is the rooting of my air layering michelia alba, that I air layered on June 2011 and roots showed up on July 2012.

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

I dont think most people know the time and labor that goes into propagating these trees. If you want a mature tree that will flower soon you have to get a air-layered tree. Seedlings take a long time to flower.

• Marc Le
    2 years ago

Hey everyone i made a michelia alba group on facebook, hopefully to share everything related to this plant and its other species. https://www.facebook.com/groups/micheliaalba/