Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow Michelia alba???

Posted by debbym phx az (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 19:31

Has anyone grown this tree/bush in the Phoenix area, or anyone know if it will grow here? I'd love to grow this plant, supposed to smell fantastic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow Michelia alba???

I don't have a Michelia Alba but I do have a Michelia figo, which is similar. This was my first summer for it. I kept it in a pot first so I could move it around until I found a spot that it liked. It does not like the hot sun but made it nicely through the summer in a spot that gets mostly shade with only a small amount of dappled sun. The Albas are hard to find and quite expensive.

o

I saw a M. figo on Logee's website - their prices are outrageous, but I guess they can ask it for a reason. I've also seen M. champak (the Joy perfume tree?) at mgonline, but they're out, now. I'd just like to smell one, just once!

o

I just looked it up on an other site. They say it smells like juicy fruit gum. $39 for a 1 gallon plant. Pretty expensive chewing gum.

o

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 18:58

I am growing it in a container on the patio. It did well despite our summer. Has not bloomed yet however. JudyB..it does not remind me of bubble gum..it is more like a cross between jasmine and plumeria..to my nose anyway.

o

Usha, where did you get your M. alba? A cross between jasmine and plumeria sounds very tasty!

o

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 22:03

unmentionable site!!

o

Rats! It was one of those $39 ones, then?

o

Usha, I hope you keep us updated on your plant. If it can be successfully grown here (I mean bloom, not just alive!) I'd love to hear about it.

o

I have a 19 years old Michelia Alba tree. It is about 25 feet tall. Each year it has about 2000 very fragant flowers. The smell of the flowers a GREAT. I am living in San Francisco,Ca. I have the mickelia alba tree ground in mybackyard. Want to see the pictures and the flowers. Please email to me.
alba-mickey

o

azleatherking@aol.com has these for sale in PHX very reasonable prices

o

I've got a couple left of this years crop if anyone wants. BLOOMING!

o

Where are you located, how big are the plants, and how much $? I might be interested.

o

35th ave & Bell 15 gallon $99 Been through 2 complete AZ summers and winters. I will have some 5 gallon available this fall-winter at approx $69-79

o

I would definately be interested in either the 15 gallon or the 5 gallon ones. Can you provide an email or phone #?

o

602-993-5540 Don

o

Yes, I grow my Michelia Alba tree in my backyard in San Francisco. That tree have been growing in my backyar almost f30 years and it is about 30feet tall. Each year it bloom a lot of very fragrant flowers. If want to see mrepictre of my lbra abla please email to me. Let me tell you a good news on my micheia alba, on June 2011 I airlayered my michelia alba andon July 16 2012 I discovered that the airlayered branch was rooting. What a surprise!!!

o

By the way here is my michelia alba tree in my backyard in San Francisco for almost 30 years and it is about 39 feet talls.

o

Beautiful trees, hardy to the mid 20's. I have 32 of these, 3 in ground, 29 in containers. Extremely fragrant and easy to grow.

o

Here is the rooting of my air layering michelia alba, that I air layered on June 2011 and roots showed up on July 2012.

o

I dont think most people know the time and labor that goes into propagating these trees. If you want a mature tree that will flower soon you have to get a air-layered tree. Seedlings take a long time to flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here