Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopworks

Honeysuckle Brown Branches

Hopworks
9 years ago

Earlier this summer, my wife and I trimmed our HoneySuckle and Hibiscus shrubs we planted earlier in the year, because they were very much overgrown. The hibiscus came back and took off, but the HoneySuckle is struggling big time. They are both on the same drip schedule. Daily watering of 20 minutes, do not know the GPH, but enough to pool the recess area we dug out to hold water. The Honeysuckle is actually blooming on the branches that are still green, but there are a lot of brown branches.

Does it have a disease? Is it over watering? Is it UNDER watering?

Image attached. I guess I can only up one image. We did the same thing to an adjacent HoneySuckle that is doing much better, with the same watering schedule.

Thank you all for your time and consideration!! My wife and I appreciate it!!

Comments (6)

• Hopworks
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is the other Honeysuckle, planted only 6 feet away. Same water schedule and same water volume.

• Hopworks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yet another image. This is one of our Hibiscus. Planted 4 feet away. Same watering schedule and volume of water.

• aztreelvr
    9 years ago

Never water anything every day. A shrub this size probably needs about 8 gallons of water once every 5 - 7 days. The soil needs to dry out a bit before applying more water. Soggy soils can suffocate plants.

After the great rains we had you shouldn't need to water for at least a week!

For more information on watering check out the link below. Page 9 has a table that shows how much water to apply based on the size of the plant. The schedule on page 18 will show you how often to water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Watering by the Numbers

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

If it was mine ---I would clean away the weeds/grass from around it 3' a least. That way you can get a better look at what is going on. It may not be draining as well as the others. Its water supply may have been cut off. There are numerous things. That grass can harbor bugs and is also water completion for the plants. Watering any of those shrubs every day is just asking for root rot.(agree w/ aztreelvr) Do not cut off what looks to be dead as it may not be. Please do not trim plants way back in the hot summer wait till winter or spring. So---clean up around, cut back on the water and keep a close eye.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

These are all on the same wall? Getting the same amount of sun?

If so that is a bit strange. If not enough water I'd expect the Hibiscus to show the problem first.

I don't think the second Honeysuckle is doing that well either because of the bare stems.

One rule I have is to not trim plants for the first few years, as long as I can put it off. More leaves = more roots. Especially the first year I want the roots to develop as much as possible. Not saying that is the problem or that it's a good rule. Just a rule I have which I like.

What aztreelvr says is standard and good advice. However, some standard wisdom can be carried a bit far. For example soggy soils suffocating plants is not something I find to be very accurate. I've experimented with many plants and water logged soil. Here's one with tomatoes. I've also done this with Mexican Bird of Paradise, Mesquite and others grown in no drainage pots, watered everyday, in clay soil. I've grown them for more than a year and about 5-10 at time. When transplanted the roots, which were submerged, looked fine. Grew fine after being transplanted.

That was an experiment, not a suggestion. But it does tell me something. If every time we see a dead plant we assume over watering, and many people do including TV gardening shows, we could be missing the real causes of death.

I've also watered plants in the ground everyday for the first year or two to get fast growth.

For this specific case my guess is not enough water if it is a water issue. I mean we're talking 20 minutes, in a Phoenix (assuming) summer, with an unknown volume (how big is the watering pan?). Over watering wouldn't be my first guess. If this was an irrigated lot or not Phoenix or north facing wall I might change my guess.

If you live where you got a lot of rain this past storm you'll have some good info coming your way shortly (now and over the next week).

1. Lots of new growth? The problem is likely a lack of water or maybe high soil pH (rain is acid and can make nutrients more available).

2, No new growth? I'd start guessing planted too deep, too high, disease, too much fertilizer, salt, not enough fertilizer, etc.

3. They die? Maybe over watering (I so doubt this).

If you suspect under watering is the problem I would yank the half dead plant and replace it. Yes, it would come back but never be as good. The other Honeysuckle would be OK imo. I would also do as campv said and remove the grass or at least keep it mowed.

I like a big recess area for water, like 3' diameter. I add like 10 gal per day for the first year in summer, as long as the soil surface is dry. Talking Phoenix, not irrigated. Absolutely that's way, way more water than these plants need to survive. But I'm interested in lots of fast growth, lush, big plants.

When the plants are first planted a 3' diameter pan is also way more than needed. But moist soil gives you roots that spread fast. More roots = more growth.

There's also a possibility that this is a combination of things. Unfortunately gardening in Phoenix is very specific to a spot in the yard and some little things.

• Hopworks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ALL of your comments are gold and I thank you! Seems like we did almost everything wrong, and I will say that A&P Nursery told me that I needed to water more, and deeper, and exactly what others told me... for the first hot summer, then back off for winter and increase next summer but not nearly as much.

They exploded towards the end of spring and sure enough, when it was hot, we trimmed it way too far down. Especially for plants not even a year old. The Hibiscus took off big time though so didn't think it was a bad thing until the last post here had me researching. Yeah, should have researched it first before trimming. They were HUGE though and needed to be trimmed. Just not nearly so much.

The branches that appear dead are actually very pliable so I will not cut them. It is blooming on the green areas and seems to be trying to come back. We will be patient since Summer's back is beginning to break. Thankfully!

I gave them some root stimulation a week ago and there is signs of life. We will wait and see.

Thank you again people for the quick and detailed responses, and all the great information and links. I really appreciate it and excited because that shows this forum to be a quality one. I am happy to have found it and to be here.

Happy Growing! - Hop