Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Royal Poinciana in Phoenix metro?

grant_in_arizona
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

Do you have one growing well? Have you seen one anywhere in Phoenix growing and blooming? I'm curious to hear whether anyone at all in the area is growing and blooming the Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia, formerly known as Caesalpinia regia).

Why you ask? Because, I did my usual leap-before-looking and bought a nice five gallon one from Baker nursery a month ago. I planted it in a prime spot for my garden, and it's growing like CRAZY, but I have some serious concerns about its long term chances, lol.

If you're growing one, or have grown one, or know of one in the area (anywhere in AZ really) feel free to share.

Thanks!

Grant

Comments (55)

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,

Great information, thanks very much for sharing it. Turtle, I'm glad the staps are doing well for you--I'd love to see how they're doing. The crested Opuntia microdasys that you sent me in trade is making nice progress too.

Steve, John, Susie, Turtle, and Lee, thanks for all of the cultural information on these. Sounds like I may need to give mine a bit of protection this winter then, huh? I'm really amazed at how much it's already grown--I'm glad I gave it a prime, sunny spot. Susie, too bad about your neighbors ripping theirs out...that's a real shame. I wonder whey they're not more popularly planted around the Phoenix metro? Of course, if mine gets fried this winter, I'll know why, lol.

Thanks for the link, Steve, I'm off to check it out. And Lee, thanks for the great city-by-city pics and information...really fun to read. Turtle, I'd say it would be a great idea for you to add an entry for this plant on your website...sounds like there could be an growing market for them.

Take care,
    Grant

• turtleman49
    18 years ago

I'm in the process of doing just that Grant, I've been working on a shopping cart to sell the cactus I grow, currently I have about 6000 seeds that I want to get growing but I still havent got the other greenhouse up and the small one I just tore down,, if you ever drop by the place I'll put you to work!,,LOL

• paperwhite
    18 years ago

Hello Folks,

I just got back from my vacation in India and i got plenty of royal poincinia seeds for everyone. They grow like weeds back home. I will post pictures soon.

• aztreelvr
    18 years ago

I attended the SHADE conference a few weeks ago where one of the sessions was on new possibilities for street trees in the Southwest. Johathan Arnold (from the City of Mesa) had photos of this tree growing in Scottsdale. When he worked for Scottsdale, he planted several including some near Drinkwater Blvd. by the library and ball park in downtown that are doing great.

He featured others including the Parrot Tree (Schotia brachpetala) which is drought tolerant, frost hardy and has red flowers and Amapa (Tabebuia palmeri) which has wine-colored flowers, a palmate-compound leaf and grows to 30 feet. Could be worth looking into.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all of the nice replies and information everyone. I'll keep you posted on how this one does. So far I'm really pleased with it, but let's see if it survives the winter before I get too happy, heh heh. Turtle, I'd love to see the nursery, and the stapeliads...I'm just waiting for my invitation. :)

Thanks again, and if anyone else is growing or seeing these, please chime in.

Take care,
    Grant

• azamigo
    18 years ago

Lee, that tree in Phoenix-I'm guessing it is in one of the gardens at the Royal Palms? There are a few planted in the median of Scottsdale Road just south of Osborn. There is a also a huge on downtown on the South Side of the State House. They really are gorgeous trees and I hope the more they are planted in public areas where people can see them the more people will try them in their own yards.

• lee_tucson
    18 years ago

AZamigo, yeah the picture of the one in PHX was taken at the Royal Palms Resort. They also had another younger one. I'll have to check out those that you mentioned in Scottsdale, as well as the one on the South Side of the State House. Thanks for letting me know about those. I hope we see more and more pop up in PHX, Yuma and Lake Havasu.

Lee

• sharonlf
    18 years ago

After reading about the Royal Poincianas here and on other sites I decided that I just had to have one. I couldn't find any in Lake Havasu where I live but found some small seedlings on EBAY. I'm getting three seedlings and I can't wait to get them! I'll be happy if even one of them thrives! Since they are small seedlings I plan on growing them in pots until they get bigger. Once question I have is...how do you pronounce Poinciana?

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

I say it Poin (like the start of point) cee ana. That is how other people say it...

Susie

• lee_tucson
    18 years ago

sharonlf I also pronounce Poinciana like Birdlady: Poin-Sea-Anna. I think they should do well there in the Lake Havasu area. They grow like mad if you give them a decent amount of water. And once they're established in the ground they'll take very little water. I've seen some in Puerto Penasco that get next to no water other then the couple of inches per year that fall from the sky and they still looked great.

Please keep us informed as to their progress there in Lake Havasu.

Lee

• sharonlf
    18 years ago

Thanks people. I'll keep you updated from time to time.

• cixel
    16 years ago

wow this is amazing. i had no idea poinciana were this resiliant. there are hundreds of them in the florida keys and around miami. during a certain time of the year there are blazing red trees everywhere, especially on the overseas highway through the keys. its simply beautiful but i never imagined they would grow in arizona!
    what a wonderful shade tree you guys have at your disposal.

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Hello: I'm new to this forum. Looking to grow Poinciana and found all this wonderful info. and pictures. Thank you. How do you think this would grow in So. Cali ... zone 9B? where can you buy seeds, and how do you plant them? Please forgive the many questions, but I just know this is the place to get the answers. TIA Gee8ch

• evolust
    16 years ago

Anybody know if there is any local place to purchase one of these trees? I'm looking for one along with a silk floss. Any pointers would be welcomed. thanks

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    14 years ago

TM, I was smitten with this tree a few years ago. Planted one.....babied it through the Big Freeze winter and lost it. So I threw in the towel. Too tender methinks.

• turtleman49
    14 years ago

People seem to keep making the same mistake with these trees.. the bottom line is their trees get stressed and they become vulnerable to frost damage they handle temps into the high 20's but not several days of that, mine went through the 06 freeze and has done fine, there's several around the valley that once established do fine, the trick is to get it past the first three years. Once established they handle our temps fine.
    The key is "Allot" of water, and I mean allot, or at least add a bunch of soil moist to the hole you plant it in

14 years ago

Yeah, sorry TM.....tmt [too much trouble] I babied that tree like mad the first year and still lost it. If you can predict 3 mild winters I might go for it. :~)))

• eunicegrower
    13 years ago

I have several Royal Poinciana grown from seed. This spring I planted them in the ground and they have grown like crazy. Most are about 6 feet tall. I'm worried about the winter. Aside from covering and perhaps wraping the bark with felt or sweatsuit material, how much watering should they receive. I water like crazy now and that probably accounts for alot of the growth. Would love some serious advice as they are now 3 years old and I don't want to lose any.

• chad_mesa
    12 years ago

I've tried to grow these for the last 5 years. I finally got one to survive this last winter but after budding out it stopped then died. The only thing I can think of is the soil. I have a Jacaranda not 2 ft away and 20 ft tall so maybe the Royal doesn't like the soil....maybe Ph? Btw, the ones in the median in Scottsdale are gone. I cant find the one at the State House?? The one in Glendale (the biggest one I've ever seen) was butchered�.frost I imagine�..as was the one at Royal Palms. Theres one over by Bakers Nursery that I have yet to find.

• AJBB
    12 years ago

Most people have given up on them. It's tough to raise a tree for 5 years only to lose them to one a killing frost. Same thing with most tropicals in Phoenix.

• desertplumeriasaz
    12 years ago

I would love to get one of these, anyone know where or how? Thanks ;)

• Nycanthus
    12 years ago

I grew two from seed and planted side by the west side wall, they did great in the summer but died in the winter. I had babied them in pots for two years before i planted them. Looking at these pictures i am tempted to try again.

• sherizona
    11 years ago

About 18 months ago I saw this thread and picked up some seeds online. I have a very healthy plant that's about 4 feet tall now. He'd been in a planter near a sunny window until about a month ago, when I moved him onto an east-facing patio...still in the same planter.

Is it common to continually have the lowest rows of leaves turn yellow and fall off? The watering seems to be fine and there is a lot of new growth at the top. Just wanted to make sure this is normal. It's only getting about 3 hours of morning sun per day.

• nickw252
    11 years ago

Where are some mature royal poincianas in metro Phoenix that I could see?

11 years ago

I think there are some at the Royal Palms Resort.

• nickw252
    10 years ago

Grant: how is your Royal Poinciana doing? Your first post was almost 8 years ago. Is it still alive?

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine died the first winter, lol. Thanks for checking. They really are pretty and I hope the larger ones in the pics above are still going strong. Happy gardening all!

• chinandega81
    10 years ago

I can attest to the ones in Yuma: as of last week, they are still there, and look the same as in the pictures. They are currently blooming on the sides that don't get direct nightime streetlight illumination. In SW AZ and SE CA we had lows bottom out in the upper 20s this past Winter, but I believe Yuma hovered around 32 at the coldest. The Royal Poincianas on the CA side of the Colorado River lost their leaves, but since then have recovered and do not show any noticeable damage. I am surprised they didn't make in in PHX, since your coldest temps. were similar to ours :-(

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, mine was young back then and got zorched, so hopefully the larger ones here in the Valley are fine too, like those in Yuma. I just haven't checked them out lately. Great that yours are doing well. They're such pretty trees! Happy gardening all!

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

I harvested a bunch of seeds recently and started growing this. Trying the impossible again. Sounds like they are pretty hard to grow, but so beautiful, I'm still going to try. Any successes?

• aztropic
    10 years ago

Had 1 growing in the ground from seed about 5 years.Froze last winter,started to resprout,but then got attacked by boring insects which finished it off.Was at least 10 feet tall with about a 4 " dia trunk.

• Julia1987
    9 years ago

I have a Royal poinciana here in Phoenix that is about 4 years old. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on when they start to bloom? I know many of you have lost them to frost. I grew up in Yuma and they do very well there because its more humid and does not freeze as much. You can purchase them from Yuma Nursery and they also have one onsite that is about 7-10 years old. I cover mine every night in the winterâ¦and wrap lights on it so it doesn't freezeâ¦..crazy i know but it is a gorgeous tree.I have read that you can clip the branches for winter and cover the whole trunk.Any thoughts?

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

I still have a lot of these seeds. Maybe I'll try again. Mine grew really well until the cold set in. I had it in my little greenhouse but still didn't make it. They are gorgeous. Wish they can get established. Also have yellow and rainbow shower tree.

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Master looking like it died in the winter, this baby tree has now leafed out again.

• edhofslien
    7 years ago

I am in Yuma, AZ and noticed my Royal Poinciana tree leaves are turn yellow, they were full of blossoma a couple of days ago? Do I need to water more/ I do three times a week on a water system, This tree is 15-20 feet tall

• chinandega81
    7 years ago

That always happens in extreme heat. Their lush growth comes in the Spring. When the intense summer heat hits, they naturally thin their canopy. You can increase their watering, but they are more in survival mode this time of year so they won't make a comeback unless we have prolonged below normal temps and several cloudy days and rain.

If you examine it closer, you will notice all of the new leaf growth has turned black. It will dry out and new growth will ocurr farther down the branch as temperaturas ease up.

• newtoucan
    7 years ago

Mine died but was pretty hardy for a couple seasons. I should have treated it better. Hope yours survives.

• edhofslien
    7 years ago

Thanks I sure hope so as it has been here for a long time, We jusyt moved here last July [in Yuma} and everytone says it has been such a beautiful tree

• Jennifer Scott
    6 years ago

Yes, contact Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees @ (602) 434-5641. He sells these and can advise on care and microclimate.

• Rachelle Mason
    6 years ago

Is this a Royal?

• ange2006
    6 years ago

Looks like it. Where is this tree in Phoenix?

• Lewis Felton
    5 years ago

I have a home in Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point). I planted a Poinciana there about 20 years ago and it blooms every Spring and is beautiful. I planted one in Apache Junction about 8 years ago and because of the last few mild Winters, it is growing like a weed. This year it has bloomed for the first time.

• aztropic
    5 years ago

Beautiful! I also have 1 here in Mesa blooming.Been growing these for 20 years,losing them occasionally to severe freezes (mid 20's) but due to our past warm winters,have had blooms for a few years. I estimate from seed to bloom in the valley takes about 7 years.

• aztropic
    5 years ago

Hmmm. Picture got crushed. Lets try another angle.

• aztropic
    5 years ago

• iandyaz
    5 years ago

Nice looking trees aztropic. What type are those palms on either side of it?

• aztropic
    5 years ago

Cuban royal palms (Roystonea regia) If you want to grow a crownshafted palm in Phoenix,this is the 1 to try. Plant it on the east side of some protection from the summer afternoon sun and barring any mid 20's freezes the first few years,you should be successful. Grows about as fast as the more common queen palm.Those 2 in the pic were planted as 5 gallons back in 2004.

• Suanne Zone 9&11 Arizona USA & Sonora Mexico
    5 years ago

Aztropic....where did you get the Cuban Royal Palms from? I haven't seen them any where in nurseries in the Phoenix area. I planted 3 of them in Puerto Penasco and just love the trunk on them. Also planted three Bottle Palms that have a nice trunk.

• aztropic
    5 years ago

I grew/grow them from seed.I used to have a hobby palm nursery but sold off the majority of the palms a few years ago.I had 50 different species available at 1 time but could probably still come up with 15 different now.I have 3 royals left in 5 gallon size @ $60 each if interested but I am currently in Iceland of all places until June 8, 2018. aztropic@yahoo.com

• Greg Donohoe
    last year

I grew about 15 royal poincianas from seed and gave many of them away to my friends who didn't really take care of them. I have 5 planted in the ground, lining my driveway. They have survived one winter so far and I did cover them except for one night that caught me by surprise and got to about 30 degrees with no protection. They did get frost burn and I thought most of them were dead but they just sprouted again at the bottom and grew like crazy. End of summer this year, they are all between 5 and 7 feet tall. I will take precautions this winter with lights and frost cloth for sure.

Sponsored