Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Tiny white flies!!!

Posted by cluelessnoob Phoenix - 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 20:34

Guys help! My yard suddenly over ran by gangs of tiny 1/4mm white flies in insane numbers. They seems to favor my lantana plants and swarm all over it, but they are everywhere!!!

What are those things and how i make them go away?

Thank you

Eugene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Tiny white flies!!!

They are, as you suspected....white flies! Lol! Anyway, they are super annoying, and the easiest way to lower their numbers is regular hard sprays with water, and you can also use insecticidal soap on the undersides of the leaves to smother them. That's alot harder than you think because lantana are usually huge and it's really hard to get under the leaves. There are lots and lots of other methods, like Vaseline on the paper plate trick, releasing or attracting predators (hummingbirds and green lacewings), using pyrethrin sprays, vacuuming them up, and others. Do a search of Gardenweb typing in "whiteflies" and you will get tons of results.

o

Bayer makes a systemic insecticide/fertilizer combo that I started using last year and it works on a number of pests and whiteflies is one of them. I treated all my lantana except one with it to see if it would work. Only the one lantana had the white flies after two weeks. So if you don't mind using " Chemistry for Better Living" give it a try. I use the Rose systemic for everything , but I think they have a general one out now.

o

Is it this product?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/311W7JBYW6L._SS500_.jpg

Thanks for replies. I got some insecticide soap from Lowes and sprayed the heck outta all/most of my plants. Seems like numbers went down. I want them DEAD!!! ALL OF THEM! LOL They ruin my nice yard. I probably will do this product or more soap next week again.

Eugene

o

try earth worm castings!!! the white flies don't like the way it makes the plant taste. plus, it's a great for your plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here