Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura81_gw

Trimming back

Laura81
10 years ago

When would be a good time to trim this plant back and can I trim it to about 2 feet tall?

Comments (16)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

I would wait until winter. You can trim it way down and make it ugly as hell. It will recover and look fine after a few weeks of spring growth.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is sort of what I thought but I thought I would consult the experts. Thanks.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

I would definitely wait until it's not as pretty as it is now. :-))

My neighbor has a landscaping crew that cut back these gorgeous bushes just before they blushed. Damn. They are so ugly now with bare spots and dead twigs showing through.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is pretty now. I didn't think it bloomed ever and then it rained and it was full of blooms.

• dlg421
    10 years ago

As GermanStar says, wait until December or January and then trim it to whatever size you want. Any trimming now will eliminate the blossums.

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

Here in Camp Verde mine goes dormant in the winter and loses all its leaves, that's when I trim and shape. They do have a tendency to get leggie.

• AZRoboTech
    10 years ago

What kind of plant is it?

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

That's a Texas Sage

• cms_az
    10 years ago

Isn't it best to wait until there is no chance of frost to cut it back? I trimmed mine all the way back in March and they came back just fine.

• dlg421
    10 years ago

They are not frost sensitive so the timing is not that critical. March is about the latest that you would want to do a major cutback.

• dlg421
    10 years ago

They are not frost sensitive so the timing is not that critical. March is about the latest that you would want to do a major cutback.

• glendale_gardener
    10 years ago

Just saw this thread and I too had the same question. We have about ten of these bushes, somewhat overgrown on our property (last owner let them go a bit). I asked a landscaping guy and he said after the last frost (mid-Feb) but I think we'll do it earlier given the notion that they are not susceptible to frost.

Thank you!

10 years ago

Frost susceptibility isn't really the point. The point is that cutting these things back the way they usually should be cut back (i.e. severely) oft leaves them rather unsightly. By waiting until after the last frost, you minimize the time they remain unsightly. If that isn't a concern, have at it!

This post was edited by GermanStar on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 20:24

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that severely cutting them back (aka renewal, rejuvenative pruning) can only be done once every 4 -5 years because its so stressful on the plant.

After renewal pruning follow 'natural' or 'selective' pruning practices to keep them looking good. Also watch the water. Texas Sage (Leucophyllum) can survive on minimal water and too much makes them grow like crazy.

10 years ago

^ Guy down the street from me does it annually, to no ill effect so far -- not that I disagree with your assessment.

• glendale_gardener
    10 years ago

Newbie question, sorry: Can silver cassia also be cut back like the Texas Sage? We just recently bought our house and the previous owner had overwatered the plants and had them pruned in such rounded shapes that the plants are over grown and have bare patches of growth or sticks for their interiors. We'd like to cut everything back (several Texas Sages and Silver Cassias) then begin again with more natural pruning techniques. Thanks for the help!