Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reversethong

Home Depot selling Avocado trees in Chanlder.

reversethong
14 years ago

I went to a Home Depot today and they had about 6 avocado tree for sale, two different types. They were about three feet tall and look fairly healthy. Is this common to see these sold out here?

Comments (11)

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Chandler is far enough from the more frost-free areas of the Valley that I would worry about them freezing. If you are close enough to central Mesa, and/or on a slight hill, you might get away with it--if it's planted in the right microclimate. In addition to frost protection, it will need a spot with afternoon shade for at least its first few years: say, on the east side of a large shade tree. Dispersul, humates, and gypsum are all useful things to apply to the soil in your area, too, since avocados like an open, fast-draining, neutral to slightly acid soil. If you go for it. good luck! : )

• orvalee_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

WHERE CAN I PICK UP AN AVOCADO TREE IN PORTLAND OREGON..I AM WANTED THREE OF THEM,..503 777 2223

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

Keep in mind Home Depot trees are Ca greenhouse grown. Completely different climate.

• wabikeguy
    12 years ago

I have read here from several people that you can grow avacados successfully here, yet I have never seen one.

The trees are not well suited to our climate or our soil.

Can anyone on this forum report that they have an in ground producing, healthy avacado tree? (Not that you know you can do it, not that you've heard about it somewhere, but actually in the ground in your yard)?

I would love to hear from you...and find out how you did it.

Thanks.........Dave

• AJBB
    12 years ago

Very rarely will a straight Home Depot Avocado tree survive out here in Phoenix.

Your best bet is to get a Mexican variety like Mexicola grafted onto West Indian Avocado rootstock (the most cold tolerant types on the most salinity accepting rootstock) -- that usually requires buying one from a Florida tropical nursery -- and grow it in part shade conditions.

This guy, who's part of the Arizona chapter of the CRFG, has one in his backyard. Remove the (&)s

http://www.phoenix(&)tropicals(&)com/avocado.html

• wabikeguy
    12 years ago

Thanks AJBB, I have seen this article before. Note that the author states that this is young tree, has yet to fruit, and the goes on to say:

"...but I have yet to see a large avocado tree growing and producing in the ground here..."

Not trying to give you a hard time, but I also have yet to see a mature producing tree anywhere in this state. If someone actually has one...I would love to be proven wrong. But you have to tell me how you did it...

• AJBB
    12 years ago

You obviously didn't look hard enough on his website.

This guy's Bacon produced fruit in Gilbert.

http://phoenix(&)tropicals(&)com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5&highlight=avocado

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

I have healthy avocado 4 years old in my yard that has fruited. I know of and have seen 5 different properties with big fruit producing trees. A friend near 21st and Glendale has 4 trees 20 ft plus each that produce. Box store trees have not been acclimated to our climate. People love to try though because they come with a 1 year warranty. Why waste time? Get a locally raised tree and ask for guidance. They will produce here if planted properly.

• hellbound
    12 years ago

avacado, the lochness monster of arizona. everyone knows someone who knows someone who has a huge producing tree....lol i plan on doing the avacado experiment next spring i'm allready grooming a spot on the east side of my house between 2 2 story homes so it'll only get a few hours of sun everyday and even then i plan on shading for the first couple years....

• wabikeguy
    12 years ago

Yup AJBB. I totally missed it. Thanks.

• kelly_girl
    12 years ago

I grew up with a small avocado grove in my backyard Vista. I would love an avocado tree here but am highly doubtful. I'll check out that link.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living