Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised bed soil...white?

Posted by stevecat az (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 21:22

My year old raised bed garden went well last year. (thanks to all of you in this forum!!) As the hot weather came I over-watered and got a crop of mushrooms. Fast forward to now, I turned over my soil to get ready for new plantings and the soil is completely white underneath.

Do I need to replace this soil or will it be okay to replant in it?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised bed soil...white?

No need to replace it. You have an overgrowth of fungus, but it will balance out. Fungus breaks down woody organic material, so if the compost wasn't completely broken down and had lots of wood it will grow fungus but not forever. Tilling it can help because fungus grows better when left undisturbed. It will balance out eventually whether you stir it up or not, but it happens faster if you do.

o

The white stuff is just the underground part of the fungus.

It's not going to hurt anything.

o

Thanks for the replies...now if that cooler weather can be as helpful....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here