Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura81_gw

Crown of Thorns

Laura81
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me if this plant can take AZ sun?

Comments (19)

• dlg421
    10 years ago

Laura,

Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii) is a tropical plant that originates on Madagascar. From what I have read and from seeing them at the Desert Botanical Garden they should be mostly in the shade here in the valley. Also watch out for frost as they are frost sensitive.

• dlg421
    10 years ago

Laura,

Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii) is a tropical plant that originates on Madagascar. From what I have read and from seeing them at the Desert Botanical Garden they should be mostly in the shade here in the valley. Also watch out for frost as they are frost sensitive.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dlg421, Oh crud. I am always buying things that need shade. They lie on the tags or they don't mean AZ sun. Thanks a bunch.

• dlg421
    10 years ago

Many of the plants in the nurserys here are grown in California where they can take full sun and that is why the tags say Sun, but they do not mean AZ sun.

• sundrop07
    10 years ago

I had a crown of thorns growing in my desert landscape front yard for years til the freeze took it out early this year. My sister in law also has one in full sun, just my experience.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sundrop07, that is good news, maybe I can try it and see what happens.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information, Grant.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Laura, I agree with Grant, I am COT collector.
    I had over 60 pots and all of them in full sun. Only some in shaded area for those hot summer months. (from July to Sept.) If they small, I will hide them in shade otherwise the leaves get burn.

COT likes cooler weather, so the blooming season is in right now. I will post pictures soon.
    Marie

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marie,
    Please post pictures of them. I have just discovered them and think they are fabulous looking. I would love to see your collection.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Laura, I mostly post in adenium forum, but maybe twice per year I post my COT in cacti & sucullents forum.

these of some link I post. Copy and paste if the link doesn't click.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0518211326868.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0423123432065.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg071013545836.html

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marie,
    Wow! Your collection is magnificent. So many beautiful plants. Really a pleasure to look at. Thanks!!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

WONDERFUL collection of crown of thorns, Marie! Thanks for posting it here so we can all enjoy. Each of your plants is just perfect looking, and their containers are great! Mine are just starting to bloom but they're putting me in the mood for our long, easy cot bloom season! Thanks for posting these, and Laura, do keep us posted on yours too! Happy gardening all!

Grant

• dlg421
    10 years ago

Marie, what a wonderful collection. I didn't realize that there are that many varieties.

• cms_az
    10 years ago

Marie,

Where do you buy all of your COTs? I have not seen such a variety before.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Hello cms_az, I collect my COT with many different sources. Mostly from flee markets and nurseries around Houston. Also traded with friends for the ones I didn't have. White is the hardest color for COT. It took me while to find white COT.

Marie

• kevininphx
    10 years ago

So from what I'm reading here - are we about to enter the showy/growing season for COT? ? ?

I bought one back in the spring (2013) and it has done well all summer - blooming since I've had it - I assumed I'd treat it like an addenium or like my Madagascar Palm - that is, do NOT water it much at all during winter.

Can anyone confirm this?

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Kevin, my crown of thorns bloom mostly autumn through late spring, so yes, they're entering their most showy season(s) now. AT least mine are.

I do cut back on the water in winter a bit, although not as severely as I do with adeniums and pachypodiums, which I just don't water at all from November through March or so. I still give my crown of thorns water every ten days or so unless it's been really chilly.

Happy gardening all,
    Grant

• kevininphx
    10 years ago

Awesome, that helps me out a lot Grant!

Yes, I do not water my adenium or pachypodiums at all during winter!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!