Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fava Beans and Leeks in the same raised bed?

Posted by thisisme az9b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 22:24

Is there any reason why it would not be appropriate for me to plant Fava Beans and Leeks in the same raised bed.

I was planning on planting them at the same time and leaving a space around each Fava plant so there will be one foot before their roots meet their first Leek.

Anyone see any reason why this would not work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fava Beans and Leeks in the same raised bed?

What are the harvest times for the leeks? You don't want to wreck the fava bean root systems when you pull or dig the leeks.

Bean roots spread out farther than 1 foot in all directions.

o

Hi lazygardens, harvest time for the leeks is 130 days.

o

So beans will ber done and cut before you start pulling leeks?

It should work.

o

Thanks lazygardens, I was just wondering because I read you should not plant Fava Beans with Allium and leeks are in the Allium family.

o

When is the best time to plant favas around here? I'm planning on using them as a cover and food crop in a large new garden that needs the soil loosened and large quantities of organic matter piled on before next spring. Also, can I add some flowers to the garden, perhaps on the ground around the favas? I was thinking allyssums or violets, maybe some dwarf nasties. Plus some various herbs like parsley, cilantro, caraway, dill and fennel.

o

tracydr right now is the time to plant Fava beans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here