Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clysta

AZ yellow bells bugs

clysta
11 years ago

In the past I have always gotten brown leave on my yellow bells by now and this year is no exception. But this year as I have been trimming the leaves off, I have noticed either feces or black eggs from some bug? The leaves are often rolled up around the black stuff. Does anyone know what this and how to treat it

Comments (9)

• plstqd
    11 years ago
  • clysta
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I suspected something like aphids. I'll treat them right away.

• aztreelvr
    11 years ago

The culprit has been identified by Carl Olson, entomologist for the University of Arizona.

"Looks like that Tecoma eater is Antigastra catalaunalis, a pyralid first collected in southern Baja in October on Tecoma, later reared in CA on penstemon in April I believe. The adult pictures in some of the literature leave a bit to be desired..., and the larvae are well all over the place. It was described as a leaf-tier, which is good. I found them encased in silk in the rolled leaves here. So it's a good year for them. Mike Plagens had a picture on BugGuide of the larva, just like yours. Looks like it feeds on Sesame and they are working on plant resistance. It is Old World tropics and subtropics in origin, introduced here.

In Jerry Powell's book Moths of Western North America they call it the Tecoma Leaf-tier and note distributions. Their adult photo leaves a lot to be desired. On line there is one from Great Britain that looks much like yours.

It's a great year for it. Who knows if it is odd or not as this is our first go-around."

Carl
    --
    Carl A. Olson, Associate Curator
    1140 E. South Campus Dr.
    Dept. of Entomology
    University of Arizona
    Tucson, AZ 85721
    FAX (520) 621-1150 Office (520) 621-5925
    e-mail bugman@ag.arizona.edu
    database website: http://150.135.42.143:591/fmi/iwp/res/iwp_home.html
    Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only
    true friends will leave footprints in your heart. -Anon-

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Since the problem was first brought to attention in September, I found my TS infested with the nasty whatever, leafroller, leaf-tier, ???. I'm not even going to bother an attempt to get rid of it. I'm pruning now for bulk trash pickup and I'm cutting this plant down and stuffing it in a bag for collection. If it comes back, fine; if not, fine. I'm tired of the battle of the bugs. :(

• clysta
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One bush is not too bad, but the other two are a lost cause. I, too, am going to cut them way back and keep my fingers crossed. My Cape Honeysuckles have been hit too but they are not nearly as bad as the yellow bells.

• juju222
    11 years ago

My tacoma yellow bells just got them too. I am going to use BT. (I'm in Sun City)

• clysta
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any suggestions as to where I can get BT in Casa Grande? Lowe's, Home Depot, local nursery?

• plstqd
    11 years ago

I got my BT at Lowe's here in the valley. They carry the Garden Safe brand, and it seems to be effective. Just bear in mind you need to reapply frequently, since the new growth on the plant won't be protected, and that what these stinkers like best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Safe BT

• juju222
    11 years ago

My bougainvillea now has them also. grrr