Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sisso & chitalpa trees is Tucson

Posted by bgda 85741 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 23:06

I am looking for experiences with sisso & chitalpa trees in Tucson.
Do Sissos typically have invasive roots? Winter of 06-07 was pretty tough and lots of plants wre damaged. I live near Ina & Thornydale area. Your thoughts, please
I saw a failry mature chitalpa at a nursery this week (9/18/08) and many of the leaves had brown patches - like sunburn?. Is that typical for the Chitalpa?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sisso & chitalpa trees is Tucson

The frost tolerance of Sissoo is much lower than that of the Chitalpa. Sissoos can be damaged at 26 degrees while Chitalpa is hardy to 0 degrees.

Chitalpa often show symptoms of salt burn with brown edges on their leaves. Deep watering should help push any accumulated salts below the root zone. The addition of soil sulfur will help to reduce pH a bit which should also help. The leaves on mine look best in spring, declining a bit as the summer goes on. Each year its blooming period gets longer and it now flowers through summer and fall.

o
RE: Sisso & chitalpa trees is Tucson

Thx, aztreelvr. What about the 'invasive' roots of the Sissoo? I have heard varying stories. Most seem to be concern rather than real issues. Thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here