Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arizona & Morning Glorys

Posted by musarojo (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 0:41

I am moving to AZ soon and want to know what is the big deal about growing morning glorys. Do those who grow them have to deal with swat teams and black helicopters? Do the Botanical Police say "naughty, naughty" as they slap your hands for committing a horticultural faux pas? I bought a lot of MG seeds on eBay last year, so I am probably set for life. :-)

MusaRojo (future grower of contraband flowers!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arizona & Morning Glorys

Hey there red (can I call you red?)

It is not illegal to grow them here and I've never heard of anyone getting a slap on the rist. We all kind of have fun with it because they're hard to get........most companies have the 411 on the don't ship this to AZ, so we are left to finding companies that are a tad out of the loop still, traders, and buying from ebay.

I think once upon a time GardenWeb would have pulled one of our posts if it had Morning glory in the text (like they used to do with water hyacinths) so we would call it by another name. Now that time is past and it's still kind of funny to call it by the other name.

BTW, we have a southwestern forum on Dave's Garden that you should visit, there's more traffic from us Arizonans over there (and a couple plumie nuts, too).

Hope you like it here!

BTW........you looking to trade any of those seeds? Would love to grow some JMG's, LMK if you are and what you might be looking for!

o

It is illegal to transport or ship morning glory seeds or plants into Arizona.

o

Thank you for the welcome. Im not looking to trade seeds right now. I will make a point of buying some common types like Heavenly Blue that I dont currently have and smuggle them in with the rest of my stash. I have decided to be totally irresponsible and risk infecting Arizona with whatever cooties Ipomoea seeds carry! I understand it actually has something to do with morning glorys "stealing" water intended for agribusiness conglomerates that grow cotton, alfalfa and other water thirsty crops that are inappropriate for a dry region.

o

Yep, they don't want the seeds getting into the cotton fields.

o

musarojo, I believe the quarantine has more to do with MG's invasiveness than it's thirsty-ness. My understanding is that it overgrows crops in the fields and causes havoc with harvesting equipment. The vines bind up the moving parts.

o

I hope it is safe to assume then that I won't wreak any havoc in the cotton fields by growing it on my Mesa patio. Then again I wonder if my 3 yr old seeds (bought before I moved here) are any good.

Also, I did just recall that I've seen what looks like Heavenly Blue growing in several places along the trail at the Riparian Preserve in Gilbert. Birds?

o

Morning Glory seeds can remain viable for fifty years. The cultivar known as Wedding Bells was brought back into circulation using a few seeds that were over thirty years old. Your seeds should be ok. I once grew Heavenly Blue from seeds that were ten years old.

o

On the prohibited list:

Ipomoea spp. -- Morning glory. All species except Ipomoea carnea, Mexican bush morning glory; Ipomoea triloba, three-lobed morning glory (which is considered a restricted pest); and Ipomoea aborescens, morning glory tree,

Here is a link that might be useful: AZ ag dept page

o

I guess they are restricted because of the cotton growers it really messes up their harvesting equipment if it takes over their fields! About a year ago I saw some at a drug store in East Mesa, I could not believe it, I think someone made a little mistake. I have had wild ones come up in my yard but they have much smaller flowers then the commercial versions but they were real pretty, they climbed up a shovel leaning against my north wall.

o

My experience with Morning Glories was gardening in Northern Arizona. My neighbor grew some on his fence, about 150 feet away. The next year I was inundated with MGs. Thereafter Morning Glory was the bane of my existance, worse than the Russian Sage even.
Years before, in Michigan, the wild form, bindweed, invaded my garden, just after I finished turning over by hand. I saw new plants coming across the garden, in a straight line for maybe 15 feet. I started pulling it up and there was a lateral root about a foot down that spread like bamboo.
The cultivated version was about as bad. Too bad, the flowers are heavenly.

Norm

o

Hi there,

I just received a pack of heavenly blues and would like to know when I can plant. They will be in a container. Thanks

o

The last few years I've been seeing them sold at Walmart,HomeDepot, and Lowe's. I don't think they are worried about the home gardeners growing them. They just want to have some control over what and how much we we grow of them. Yes, years ago there was a problem with them taking over the cotton fields, before that there was the problem with them being used in the making of LSD. As long as you are growing them for to beautify your own property, now one is going to bother you over them.

o

They are starting to put out seeds here, so out of curiosity I looked for mg seeds. Lowes here has seeds of flying saucers mg and another dark pink one, under their own brand name. So its ok to buy them and sell them but we can't grow them or they may decide to punish us?? Good grief...

o
RE: Arizona & Morning Glorys(reason for illeagality)

morning glorys kill the biggest agricultural revenue crop arizona has, cotton. plus it spreads like wild flower, one flower can destroy acres of cotton fields in no time at all, THIS is why they are illeagal in arizona, not because of water consumption

o

growing them in az can be considered attemted eco terrorism lol thats how bad they affect our cotton crops and in hand would devestate az's economy considering cotton is where az gets 3/4s of their money from...

o

Please take your sad fear mongering and trolling somewhere else.

"one flower can destroy acres of cotton fields"; if they were that powerful the government would have developed them into a weapon.

Perhaps you should see your doctor about having your meds adjusted, or have him place defibulator paddles on your head and give you a few refreshing jolts.

o

Updated prohibited weeds seeds in AZ link below.
pertinent part:
Ipomoea spp. Morning glory
All species [prohibited] except Ipomoea carnea, Mexican bush morning glory,
Ipomoea aborescens, morning glory tree,
Ipomea batatas - sweetpotato,
Ipomoea quamoclit, Cypress Vine,
Ipomoea noctiflora, Moonflower -
Morning Glories, Cardinal Climber,
Hearts and Honey Vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Prohibited Noxious Weed Seeds

o

Perhaps you should see your doctor about having your meds adjusted, or have him place defibulator paddles on your head and give you a few refreshing jolts.

Wow! Have you been ingesting those Morning Glory seeds?
You are no doubt going going to make a great addition to our growing population and gene pool.
I took your advise and put on my tinfoil hat and gave myself a few refreshing jolts with a defibulator [sic]. It didn't change a thing, Morning Glory is still a prohibited plant in AZ.
One MG plant in a cotton field can cover an area up to 100 sq. ft. During cotton harvesting the vines can get caught in the in the pickers requiring manual removal. The vines can also drag the cotton bolls from the plants in that area resulting in loss of cotton. So multiply that by however many plants with however many flowers producing however many seeds and you may begin to see MG is a REAL problem down here. A change of meds isn't going to change that.
If you are harvesting your seeds for your own personal consumption that probably won't cause any problems unless you knock down cotton plants chasing unicorns through the cotton fields.
Perhaps a little more research on your soon to be adopted state will keep you from sounding like a fool when you get here.

o

Dear tin foil troll,

I started this thread ALMOST EIGHT YEARS AGO! If you were a skilled troll you would have noticed and not made a snotty comment about "soon to be adopted state", showing everyone what a tard you are. I've grown morning glories every year, and so far haven't managed to destroy the state's cotton crop. The total acreage planted in cotton has declined in recent years, but real estate developers are the ones destroying the cotton fields, not monster-sized mutant morning glories from Hell.

o

Tiptoeing into this conversation....as long as you are not within a birds flying range of an agricultural crop that will be harvested with machinery, growing the lovely MG poses no threat. But if you *are* close to a high density ag endeavor, it would be neighborly to find a substitute for the lovely MG.

Peace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here