Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Lime Tree

Posted by ckr97 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 0:55

A few days ago, I impulsively purchased a Mexican Lime Tree. I began doing some research on the tree after it was planted, and am confused as to exactly what kind of fruit it will bear.

The tag states: "This popular lime produces small, green, round fruit with thin skin and juicy, almost seedless fruit."

From my online search, it seems the Mexican Lime is basically another name for the Key Lime. Ive also read its an improved version with larger fruit. Yet other sites state the fruit is about the size of a tennis ball... Thats awfully large for a lime!

The tree was purchased at Home Depot and was grown at Colorama Wholesale Nursery in California. Does anyone out there have a similar Mexican Lime? Exactly what kind of fruit can I expect to see?

My biggest fear is ending up with those tiny key limes available in local markets. My primary use will be juicing. I cant imagine how many of those 3/4" to 1" limes it would take to make a pitcher of limeade. :-(

I have lots of citrus, but this is my first lime. Any input from other lime growers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Lime Tree

There are two types of limes that grow well here in the low desert, the Mexican Lime (Key Lime or West Indian Lime) and the Persian Lime (Bearss Lime or Tahitian Lime).

The Mexican Lime is very frost sensitive, and frost protection is usually a must. It produces small (~1"), seedy fruit with a thin green rind that turns yellow when mature. The fruit is produced nearly year-round and usually drops from the tree when yellow.

The Persian Lime is the most common lime grown here. The fruit is small (~2") and nearly seedless. Most fruit becomes ripe in the winter, although small quantities may be produced year round. Once the fruit turns yellow it doesn't store well. The tree has dark green leaves and is less thorny than the Mexican Lime.

Why not call a local grower? Here is the contact information for Greenfield Citrus Nursery in Mesa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenfield Citrus Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here