Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting in the wonderful Southwest

Posted by bethany_gardener Phoenix (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 1:44

Around here we don't have many trees that lose their leaves like some states. So I was wondering: What do you guys do for browns?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting in the wonderful Southwest

I have plenty of leaves. We have an ash tree and the neighbor has pecans and ash. I also compost used potting soil and newspapers along with paper towels, tea bags and coffee filters. I use a converted city dumpster barrel and bag the leaves up to use throughout the year.

o

I have plenty of leaves, with mesquite and desert willow trees.

There usually isn't a massive leaf drop like you are used to, but it's there.

o

I have a paper shredder that I picked up at a garage sale for 10 bucks. All the non-glossy junk mail goes through it and into a bag or bin for adding to the compost. I also shred brown cardboard boxes and old phone books through it though you have to be careful not to overheat the shredder by doing a little at a time. I find I get plenty of browns this way. I get a very fine compost this way using grass clippings and paper and cardboard. You have to be careful not to waterlog this stuff, but it breaks down very fast.

o

my fav if you want a LOT is to check with local tree trimming services and ask if they have a chipper truck. if so, ask for a CLEAN chipped load. (no pipe, glass or trash) They save the dump fee a the land fill and you get great mulch.

o

I have a very small compost bin -- it's just a 5 gallon bucket. I subscribe to the paper. So I just tear up a few pages for browns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here