Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to plant hollyhocks?

Posted by MingTea z8 OR Corvallis (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 1:52

hi folks,

i was told by several people to plant hollyhocks when i moved here. well, we finally got into a house and i found some black hollyhock seeds i had saved. is now a good time? where should i situate them in the yard? any special care?

thanks for any info,
-ming

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to plant hollyhocks?

I was just wondering the same thing ;)
Scarecrow

o

Hi MingTea and Gardentrolip

I always loved hollyhocks, maybe because my grandmother use
to grow them in large quantities.
I always planted my seeds in the fall either in the ground or in containers. Since they are biannuals, if you plant them in the fall they start growing and they should bloom next year. I do that every year and I always have hollyhocks.
Sometimes they have pups spouting from the roots and you get more hollyhock even if they are smaller size.
Try them. They will bring you lots of joy.

Rodica

o

• Posted by MingTea z8 OR Corvallis (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 20:32

thanks for the info, rodica. i think i'll put some seeds out this week...do i need any special soil/soil amendment where they'll go, and will they be able to take full sun?

-ming

o

Hello all,
I planted hollyhocks for the first time last year and absolutely fell in love with them!

I planted mine in two different flower beds - both had amended soil (native soil + compost). I live on an old dairy farm, so the soil is wonderful - some folks who live closer to the mountains have more soil issues, so that may impact you.

Anyway, both groups did great. One was in full sun and the other was morning sun/afternoon shade. They are so cute, extremely low care, and well worth giving them a try!

Have fun,
Natalie

o

Mingtea

They do not require a very rich soil, because if they grow in one they will grow very tall with fewer flowers.
My soil is pretty good since I added compost for years but is not super rich. Tey grow tall with lots of flowers and after the main stalk finishes flowering you get more branching with more flowers (smaller).You can grow them in full sun if you water them profusely but they grow better with afternoon shade.
Some of them have a smaller stature than othes but all of them are beautiful.

Good gardening.

Rodica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here