Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two interesting new plants

Posted by agility_mom z9 AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 2:33

I just bought an Allspice tree (Pimenta dioica) and a Guamuchiles (Pithecellobium dulce) tree today.
The Allspice tree is a gorgeous plant that smells so good that you want to eat it! It is supposed to do ok in our sun and be cold hardy into the mid 20's.
The other resembles some other desert trees with small thorns. It can take the heat, the cold and is drought tolerant but the reason that I got the tree is that it gets these pods on it that have a fruit like stuff surrounding the seeds that tastes like a coconut/raisin combo. Anyway, it sounds interesting.
Is anyone else growing either of these? I have read that the tree with the pods is a favorite at Mexican markets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two interesting new plants

am, I was talking to my wife about it and was wondering. Where did you get the Allspice tree?

o

I got it from the Tropica Mango on the East side. The one that I got was a bigger pot that is longer than a regular 5 gallon pot but they did have some 1 gallon size too that were less expensive.

I am heading outside to plant it in a few minutes. It is going by my gazebo. My husband and I like to sit out there later in the day and I wanted it to be close where we can get drifts of it's aroma.
In Dave Ownen's book, Extreme Gardening, he says that it is more of a bush size here, 8' tall X 4' wide.
If you smell one, you will have to buy one ;)

o

Neat! Thanks for posting about these. It looks like the allspice might get a little fussy if we have a cold winter, but definitely seems worth a gamble. I love the pics and descriptions! Keep us posted on how it, and the other plant do for you. You are blazing a trail. :)

Good luck! Thanks again, Grant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here