Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nina_gretta

columbine in tucson

nina_gretta
18 years ago

Is anyone else growing columbine. I have a plant I have managed to keep alive all summer and was wondering if this is normal. I love them and was planning on trying to get some more going. My mother in Colorado sends me seeds but I have yet to get one started from seed. Anyone have any good advise on getting them going from seed?

Comments (7)

• User
    18 years ago

I think they require a cool germination.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

The only columbine that I know of that does good here is one of the yellows, and then it needs partly shady conditions. Most of them can't handle the really hot weather. That's great that you were able to over-summer some - you're better at it than I am!!!

Here's Mountain States blurb on it:

Golden Columbine This perennial grows to 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Its foliage is divided, with a medium texture and rich green color. Golden yellow flowers appear in late spring, summer, and fall. Hummingbirds are attracted to the flowers, which have long slender spurs and are a good source of nectar. This plant is biennial, which means it blooms the second year of its life cycle. Golden Columbine is native along streams and canyons from 3,000-11,000 feet and grows in moist, rich soil from southern Colorado to New Mexico, Arizona and northern Mexico.
    It is an extremely cold-hardy perennial but will also tolerate the low deserts if planted in shady locations and given supplemental irrigation. Clear yellow flowers up to 3 inches across, with long, nectar-bearing spurs, attract humans and hummingbirds alike. Depending on the temperatures of the planting site, Golden columbine will bloom from spring through early summer. In high deserts, Golden columbine can be used in full sun to part shade, and prefers rich, moist soil. After flowering, cut back old stems to initiate a second crop of flowers. If you'd like Golden columbine to self-sow in your garden, just let the seeds dry on the plant. Mother nature should take care of the rest.

If you're interested in more of their "blurbs", their address is below - once you get into the site just go to the "database" tab.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moutntain States Wholesale Nursery

• paalexan
    18 years ago

In addition to the yellow columbine (Aquilegia chrysantha), the other one likely to survive in Tucson is Aquilegia triternata, one of the red/orange ones. It grows natively at low elevations in the Pajarito & Huachuca Mts., so the Tucson climate isn't nearly as alien to them as it would be to stuff from Colorado.

I've linked a couple pictures I took of triternata in the Pajaritos...

Patrick Alexander

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquilegia triternata

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Pretty - and the same foliage. Cool.

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

I have a couple yellow columbine that come up year after year. I believe it is the same plant, as I can see where it dies back and leaves some dead sticks sticking out. Then the new leaves start from there. This one reseeds fairly readily, so I share the seeds with friends.

Hope yours continues to do well! To get blooms sooner, buy them already started, but I advise that the yellow ones are the only ones that are worth the effort. Mine are in dappled sun and now get about 2-3ft tall!

Susie

• nina_gretta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mine is a pinkish purple one. It sound like I'm pretty lucky it is doing so well. I have tried to start a new plant from the seeds I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info.

• CissyCat
    18 years ago

I have grown yellow, pink, and purple columbines from seed. Just sprinkle the seed out, lightly cover, and keep damp (not too wet!) until they sprout. I had mine for several years, and always kept them in the shade, they multiplied like crazy and I was able to dig a few to take with me
    when I moved.

HTH,
    Trudi

{{gwi:421305}}