Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raimeiken1

Vegetable gardeners! What do you have growing this fall?

ra
12 years ago

I have bitter gourd, bottle gourd and Wax gourd (winter melon) and Okra. I planted some Chinese cabbage and cauliflower last month but none have sprouted :(

{{gwi:421469}}

Bitter Gourd

{{gwi:421470}}

Female Flower from the Bottle gourd

{{gwi:421471}}

Bottle Gourd growing wild!

{{gwi:421472}}

Bottle Gourd

{{gwi:421473}}

Okra

{{gwi:421474}}

Okra's still flowering crazy

{{gwi:421475}}

What do you guys have growing?

Comments (21)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

Wow! Everything looks grand. I have mostly tomatoes and jalepenos at the moment but will be planting beets, carrots,lettuce, radishes, garlic and flowers shortly.

• hellbound
    12 years ago

i have lots of chiles, yardlong beans, zuccini, tomatoes, pumpkins, armanian cucumbers, bokchoi, radashes, lettuce, okra and cabages all growing right now.....gotta love az

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

did you just plant those?

I want to grow some cabbages and bokchoi as well. Did you start them from seed? If so, where did you get your seeds from?

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Great stuff! I'll be mostly doing winter greens: lettuce, Swiss chard, regular chard, and some herbs.

I would love to grow gourds but my timing is awful. When did you plant the seeds?? I'd love to give them (another) try.

Thanks for the eye candy!
    Take care,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden (so far) for October 2011

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I planted the seeds late august and started flower about 2-3 weeks ago.

The Wax gourd (Winter melon) is the only one that isn't flowering yet. I'm not sure why, but it's growing quickly like the others.

• plstqd
    12 years ago

I have tomatoes, garlic, basil, onions, rosemary, chives, sage, oregano, cilantro, lettuce (leaf and romaine), peppers, kale, chard, cabbage, bush green beans, beets, carrots, fava beans, broccoli, snow peas, sweet peas (oops, not a veggie) and sweet potatoes currently sprouted and/or growing. Oh, and nasturtiums and lavender as well for edible flowers.

It took me all summer to dig out the bermuda and build my little garden plot, and I am sooooo happy to have a garden space again! There is simply nothing as wonderful as fresh veggies that you grow yourself. I can taste the salads already!

• plstqd
    12 years ago

P.S. Okra flowers are so beautiful. Do you mind telling me, raimeikin, how tall your plants got here? I'm eager to try some next summer, but I've heard they can get pretty big, so I need to plan where to put them.

• greendesert
    12 years ago

My garden is for the most part sitting there empty. No energy to do it all anymore. I do actually have a couple of white eggplants growing and a couple of tomato plants that have survived the oven this summer. The eggplants are making edible but small fruit. The tomatoes, I kinda doubt they'll do much, they have tons of flowers, but they're in the NE corner of the house, so pretty soon they won't be getting much sun at all, so they'll just be vegetative.
    Wish I could beat this illness to get back to enjoying gardening and everything.

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wax Gourd (Winter Melon) finally flowered! male flowers everywhere.
    {{gwi:421476}}

and here's a female flower.
    {{gwi:421477}}

• petalpunisher
    12 years ago

I love this thread! (: I always wonder if I'm planting things at the wrong time. I did that last time with cucumbers. :-\

I have bak choy and snow peas and snap peas growing. I planted those in September.

Also did carrots. Trying again. I haven't had much luck lately with carrots.

My basil is still kicking. It's huge!

• margez
    12 years ago

plstqd,

There are several varieties of dwarf okra available. I have some for trade.

raimeikin,

I have both regular and baby bok choi for trade.

I could not find email addresses for either of you.

• xica_da_silva
    12 years ago

I'm keeping it simple this winter; just hot peppers from a plant that survived the summer and is now producing a bunch of not-quite-mature peppers. I also just planted a bunch of baby strawberry plants, since I had some success with them last year. Next season I'll get more ambitious...work-life has been especially busy this year!

• neilaz
    12 years ago

jalapenos, green bell peppers and green beans. Simple this year

• drmrsguild
    12 years ago

People say keepIng it simple this year, and I laugh. Keeping it simple is when you garden outside of AZ. Anything here takes a tender hand and a watchful eye.

I LOVE hearing about all of these varieties!! This is awesome! I have jalape�os and serranos, lots of swiss chard, romaine, and butter lettuce. I started up another zucchini, and an acorn squash, along with several varieties of cucumber. Oh, and bell peppers of course, from spring plants - those are finally coming into their own, along with about half dozen eggplants. LOTS of eggplants!!

Interestingly, my concord grape is fruiting this fall. It already produced this spring, and I didn't realize that it would re-fruit for me now...!

• drmrsguild
    12 years ago

Ok- has anyone grown white bush marrow?? I have some seed coming in from rareseed.com, and I hear it does well, but other than that, I don't know what to expect? I also have on order purple cauliflower, purple artichoke, mailbag spinach, and a couple other oddities. Any thoughts?

• greendesert
    12 years ago

One of my grapes is fruiting as well. When I bought the thing, it was labeled "Thompson Seedless"... well, it just doesn't look quite right for that variety. It is probably a perlette, but it is super prolific. In the third year from planting, I picked several pounds of grapes from it in June, and now in the fall it is fruiting again. It did last winter too, but the fruit never ripened, besides, I pruned it in Jan.

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harvested these today. I got one bigger than these two last week and cooked it. Delicious! I have several more growing on the vines right now in different stages.

{{gwi:421478}}

• quotetheraven
    12 years ago

Is anyone fighting whiteflies? here, I am surrounded by cotton fields and when they spray them, the whitefilies abandon ship and head to home gardens. I have tried everything from sprays, soap sprays, and yellow traps. You can't open your mouth out there without tons of them flying down your throat. Any ideas? they have sucked the life out of my squash plants twice now..steph

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I have a few white flues. I've had a lot of aphids this year. Just got my winter garden mostly planted, still need to plant garlic, bunching onions, egyptian and potato onions. I'd like to plant big onions, too but I'm running out of room.
    I'll put some kale, turnips and beets in my less sunny spots soon.

• lilmissfit8
    12 years ago

I am so excited I have found this site. I am planting my first AZ garden. Quite a change from the Indiana row gardens I was raised on.

I only had one pea and bean plant survive not sure how much I can harvest from those, lol. I also have tomatoes, peppers, eggplant,, squash and cabbage that are looking decent. I have tried to plant coordinating herbs as bug deterrents. :). I am hoping to plant leaf lettuce and spinach this weekend if it is still possible. Would love to have a fresh salad for Christmas.

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's another harvest before the winter cold.

The two on the top are supposed to be the Winter Melons "Wax Gourds" but I think they gave me the wrong seeds. Either that or the bees cross pollinated them with the bottle gourd flowers. Because they're supposed to be round, not elongated like the bottle gourd LOL. But they do smell sweet.
    {{gwi:421479}}

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County