Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie5_gw

Clematis In Phoenix?

marie5
18 years ago

I am new to gardening. I just picked up the habit in the last year or so. I am obsessed with the Clematis vine and wonder if anyone has tried to grow it here is Phoenix. I am in the Southwest Valley out by PIR. I believe I am considered zone 9b

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Comments (11)

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Yes you can! They're a little tough tho, I accidently had success with this one. It is shaded, gets very early a.m. light. From what I understand it is imperative that the roots stay cool. The 1st year was bad and it did nothing, this year it re-emerged and bloomed! Supposedly the 3rd year is supposed to be tremendous.
    {{gwi:421538}}

• marie5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the reply. Did you start it from seed or a container plant? Was there anything special other than light shade? Yours is beautiful!

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

I bought it in the Spring @ Lowes. It was a tiny plant in a 4" pot.

• User
    18 years ago

Very inspiring!

• judy_b
    18 years ago

Yes, Garden trolip is an inspiration to all who aspire to a colorful jungle.:-)Barb of the Jungle.

• Carrie_AZ
    18 years ago

I also grow a Clematis. I have to cover mine with a screen cover so that the top of the plant is not in the sun in the heat of the summer otherwise it will burn. I just took down the screening so that the top of the clemitis can get some sunshine now that it is cooling down. Mine does just fine, I give it lots of mulch to keep the roots cool. Right now it looks really good nice green leaves and it should be blooming any day now. Mine does go dormant in Jan Dec Feb when it gets real cold, but in the spring it comes back with lots of blooms and they are big. It really does not have chance to get really big because of the short growing season it has here in the desert, but it is a nice plant and it is doing fine.
    Carrie

• RODICA
    18 years ago

I grow eight clematis. Two of them are pitcheri and they are
    spectacular. They bloom all summer untill late fall(they are blooming now)Their blossoms are like bells with the petals curved outwards.They are purple with almost metalic sheen and their fragrance reminds me of grape flowers.
    I have two canyon clematis that I bought last year and so far all they did is putting some growth.
    I have one clematis Ville de Lyon(I think) and every year it gets bigger and better. It blooms several times a year.
    I have two more that they are not doing much. They do not die but they do not grow much.
    As Gradentrolip already mentioned they need to have their roots shaded and burried pretty deep in case it will suffer from clematis wilt.I add lots of compost to them every year and fertilize with organic fetilizer only(seaweed and fish emultion).
    I bought most of mine from the internet.
    Give it a try and good luck.

Rodica

• marie5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow eight! It is exciting to hear you have had so much success. I am anxious to purchase some. Are yours in the shade? What time of year did you plant them?

Thanks for the information. :o)

• RODICA
    18 years ago

Hi Marie5

I can not remember when I planted them but since I ordered them from the Internet I thing I received them a little later that I wanted. I would plant them in early spring.
    One of my pitcheri clematis is in full sun intertwined with my wisteria, so I guess it gets some protection from the sun.The second pitcheri is getting a lot of sun and it gets so big that it takes over my side of the patio.
    The Ville De Lyon gets morning sun at the roots but the top gets a lot of sun. The others get just morning sun.
    I do not remember where I bought them from except the canyon clematis that I ordered from Rock Potato nursery in California.Joy Creek nursery carries a lot of clematis.
    You might try to locate them on the Internet or as one of us was mentioning in a different message Baker Nursery might carry them after they will read this message.

Good gardening

Rodica

• shelly_mittleman_gmail_com
    13 years ago

While hiking near Aguila in the Eagle Eye volcanic caldera? I came upon a clematis with a cluster of 5 or 6 small pink flowers emanating from a crack in the ancient lava. It had grown in a pocket of the weathered lava and was not like any other clematis I was familiar with, due to the cluster of the "single flower". Any help in identifying this species?

• HU-343626345
    5 years ago

We planted one here in East Valley and it started out great but it’s growing slowed down. What I am wondering now is when is it ok to cut back the plant for the fall and winter months coming up?

Sponsored