Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Desert/Container Gardening--Advice?

Posted by karaupnorth 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 12:25

Hello, I'm new to the board, new to AZ, and new to container gardening (we are currently renting a home, can't tear up the yard). Just moved from the midwest, where I've ALWAYS had a backyard garden. I'm anxious to get some heirloom tomatoes and peppers going. When should I plant? What extra steps do I need to take? Is it true that AZ has two growing seasons?

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Desert/Container Gardening--Advice?

I can't remember which growing season is the right one for peppers and tomatoes likely the summer one, but yes, it is true that there are two.

Many annuals are planted now for fall, winter and early spring color. Then a different set of annuals are planted for late spring and summer color.

When you grow in containers make sure you don't use garden soil, buy quality potting soil.

It is advised to water slowly and thoroughly using a drip system is possible in containers and saves money and your time.

Some plants that needed full sun in the Midwest may need partial shade in AZ.

You can grow many favorites such as roses and cannas and there are a lot of great new plants for you such as Bougainvillea, hibiscus, Mexican bird of paradise, tropical bird of paradise, assorted palms and you can grow just about any houseplant outdoors if you have shade and keep them watered.

You can also do up a watergarden in a barrel and grow a tropical waterlily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here