Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agility_mom

My worst year for roses

agility_mom
13 years ago

This has got to be my worst summer for roses ever. Usually my roses all survive the summer, granted, they have a few brown leaves here and there but as soon as it cools down, they leaf out and take off.

However, this summer, I have lost several plants and a lot of the others look worse than usual.

The only thing that I have done differently this summer is that I did not mulch them as usual.

Has anybody else lost roses?

Comments (8)

• Jeannie Cochell
    13 years ago

Oh yeah. Lost about 6 by not checking the emitters regularly. At the October rose society meetings, a lot of us were comparing what we lost, why they died and how old they were. Only the rosarians using flood irrigation reported few losses this year.

This was another long, hot summer and while roses will tolerate quite a bit of heat, year after year of sustained heat and drought limits their life.

The bright side of this is that you now have spots for new roses. Out of curiosity, what roses did you lose? My losses were Noble Antony, Odee's Pink, The Fairy, Amy Grant, Deja Blu and very likely Climbing Pennies From Heaven and Small Miracles. Very likely because they have more brown than green. All but Amy Grant died from lack of water. Amy was at least 10 yrs and that's a long time for a mini on drip irrigation.

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have around 200 rose plants and really tried to check the emitters often however, if you have one that isn't working, it doesn't take long.
    There were some that got plenty of water and still died.
    Some that I lost are, Noble Anthony, Bolero, Alec's Red, Pope John Paul, Pillow Fight, Distant Drum, French Perfume, William Shakespeare 2000, Ebb Tide, Star of the Nile and maybe a couple others.
    Fortunately, I have doubles on some of these.
    Something that I have noticed is that the drip parts are not holding up as good as they used to. They seem to break off at the connector points. This is on the newer parts only. Of course when this happens, the plant does not get as much water as it should and neither do a lot of the other plants on that line.
    Ah yes, it is always fun to get new roses and that is definitely a bright side, I just wish that I didn't lose some of the roses that I really liked :(

• richsd
    13 years ago

With regard to dripper problems, maybe it's better to use an overhead sprinkler system. At least you can see what's being applied (and it rinses the leaves of dust.)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Every time I read this subject line I think it says "My worst fear for roses"......don't be scared. :~)

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

LOL @ Mary!

Several of my rose buddies lost several roses this year too.

Let us know what you get as replacements and how they do for you.

Take care,
    Grant

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am actually going to move roses around from other beds to fill in where the ones died. While I love the roses, I am going to lessen the number that I have and replace them with fruiting plants of various types.

• Jeannie Cochell
    13 years ago

The only one on your list that might be tough to find is Noble Antony (Noble Agony as I referred to it). Most of your losses were moderns and are often available at local nurseries in Phoenix. The only nursery that carried any Austins last year was Bakers. I suppose the big box stores might get a few.

If you do decide to replace any roses this year, the Mesa/East Valley Rose Society annual rose auction is in February at MCC. They have a wide variety of roses up for bidding; many hard-to-find and many on fortuniana rootstock. Roses typically went for $5.00-20.00 but a couple incited a bidding battle and sold for about $50.00 each.... this was down from years past where roses averaged $20.00-30.00. All proceeds benefit The Rose Garden at Mesa Community College and the MEVRS.

If anyone checking this post is curious about roses that do well in our summer temps, I encourage them to visit the public rose gardens at Encanto, Mesa Community College, Scottsdale Artists School and Sahuaro Ranch Park that are maintained by the local rose societies. Other rose gardens of interest are the heritage gardens at Boyce Thompson Arboretum and the Co Extension Office on Broadway. There are other rose gardens at several state government offices, Pioneer Park in Mesa, Dobson Ranch Park and many local churches.

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

My old garden roses have done pretty well this summer except for a few that died (mostly the tea noisettes). I find the established one get through the summer with no problems at all. The best:

Madame Joseph Schwartz
    Mrs Dudley Cross
    Le Veseuve
    Maman Cochet
    Catherine Mermet
    Niphetos
    Bridesmaid
    Old Blush
    Anna Olivier

The ones that die in the summer are usually bands I've planted in winter or early spring, which I've now learned to avoid doing, if at all possible.

I don't grow many modern roses but do also grow a few old hybrid teas which made it through the summer this year. I'm growing these, but they are too young to comment on, except they made it through the summer:

Grace Darling
    Tipsy Imperial Concubine (if she is really an old hybrid tea)
    Captain Christy
    Kaiserin Auguste Victoria

Sponsored