Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange eggs in chive soil

Posted by Kahavens Tucson, AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 14:01

Hello! I'm new to gardening and I am building a container garden, but I have been facing a major pest issue. Aphids, loopers, spider mites, you name it. I've got in under control in most of my containers, but I just discovered a major problem. In my biggest container I have a chive transplant that I bought at home depot, and I also planted spinach and green onion seeds. Symptom 1: The seeds never grew.

I replanted a few seeds today and investigated the planter. Symptom 2: In the stiff outer transplant soil (not the soil surrounding it in the planter), there are tons of little orange balls. I assume their eggs. I've also seen a lot of small bugs in there, both aphids and spider mites, but I think moreso aphids... at least I think they're aphids. I'm worried the whole planter might be infested.

I started using an oil/dishsoap/water pesticide, but I'm not sure what to do about the eggs.

So my questions are: 1) Are these aphid eggs? 2) how do I kill the eggs? Do I need to pull out the transplant completely? Please help!

Note: I used my macro camera lens to take pictures of the eggs. They eggs are about the size of the tip of a pen or smaller.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange eggs in chive soil

Are you sure they're eggs and not time-release fertilizer like Osmocote? Hard or soft? Can you squish 'em? Have you seen anything hatch out?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here