Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody with Cherry trees?

Posted by Andrikos Sahuarita (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 05 at 14:11

Hello,
I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small ones) and I'm thinking of planting a couple of Cherry trees.
i thinking of one Bing and one Rainier for cross pollination.
Did anybody succesfully plant cherry trees in Arizona?
My elevation is 2800ft and it does get in the teens during the winter (I have to cover my citrus trees).
We have lots of bees and pollinating insects. I just hope I can grow a couple of juicy yummy brearing cherry trees...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andreas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody with Cherry trees?

If I remember correctly, they still need more chill hours (you probably already know what that means, but for anyone else reading along) which is the amount of time the temps stay low, as opposed to how low the temps go. As an example, the Cherry Festivals in my native Michigan are held in the upper part of the mitten (Traverse City,) which is much colder than the lower part of the state.

I've added a link to a publication that gives the info on chilling hours for many fruits and nuts that can be grown here. I'm afraid they don't even mention cherries.
HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Fruits and nuts

o

There are a few native cherry trees in Arizona. The ones that come to mind are the big ones up around the town of Cherry. Unsure exactly what type they are or if the fruit is even edible. Trying to grow edible cherries in Arizona might be a challenge but I've been successful with a Hollyleaf cherry tree in Mesa. It thrives in the heat and does put out fruit every year. The birds love 'em. Good luck.

o

Thanks Pagancat and AZJeff for your advice.
Despite advice to the opposite (by Mesquite Valley Growers staff also! :) I bought a Lapins Cherry. It was only $29.95 so I figured it'd be pretty low risk.
I'll be planting it in an area of my house that will be getting shade after 2PM in the summer (so it doesn't fry).

The 700 chill hour requirement seems almost attainable in my area.
I'll also augment this by placing ice around the tree when temps are over 45F during the winter.
I figure if I cover it with a sleeping bag or something, I'll be able to extend the chill hours to, hopefully, over the 700 hour limit.
And since temps under 32F is counterproductive to the accumulation of chill hours, I'll be covering it also when it gets really cold. :)
Wish me luck.
If this works, next year I'll plant a Rainier and a Montmorency. What can I say, I'm nuts for fruit/nut/citus trees... :D
Andreas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here