Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone help identify this

Posted by WhittakerJ 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 14:20

All,

I seen this hedge off of 7th street in downtown Phoenix. I love the look of this and I'm curious if anyone can help me identify what the plant is. Also, how long would it take to get something like this to grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone help identify this

Nice. I bet it's a privet of some sort. Someone else will know. I bet it takes a lot of water. I've planted 5 hop bushes recently to replace the barren spots that are showing up in my lady banks hedge.

o

It's a bit too distant to make a good guess. It does look like the foliage is pretty fine so it could be myrtle. If you have a chance to take a close-up, folks here could probably make a solid ID.

o

That is a very mature hedge. I'm thinking privet. We had 3 hedges like this where i grew up in Phoenix.
A lot of work to keep trimmed and need good deep watering.

o

Looks like Myrtle to me. If you get close enough to touch the foliage, it's fragrant - sort of medicinal. Blooms with very small white flowers. It's common in older parts of Phoenix and surrounding cities.

Here's a link to the ASU campus arboretum web site where they have photos of myrtle as a hedge or as a small tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Myrtle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here