Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

white pomegranate - wonderful

newtoucan
12 years ago

I have pomegranate "wonderful" with nice big red pomegranates. The problem is, that the seeds inside are white and not very sweet. It gets plenty of sun and water and the seeds are nice, and plump. How do I get the seeds red and sweet. The tree otherwise looks very healthy.

Comments (5)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Are you sure they are ripe? It takes 6-7+ months from flower to edible.

Growers generally consider the fruit ready for harvest if it makes a metallic sound when tapped.

• fabaceae_native
    12 years ago

I had my first good pomegranate harvest this year from three potted plants, and really dealt with the ripening question, since color and size are really not enough to go by. I had never heard of the metallic sound, lazygardens, but I just went and tried it on the last fruit still hanging on the plant, and I think it works!

After some research, I found these other ways to tell ripeness:
    -- squarish shape of fruit
    -- calyx beginning to curve back in on itself
    -- very tough, hard skin not easily marked with fingernail
    -- splitting (this is the final sign of ripeness, and these fruits will not keep well)

By the way, plant cultural differences must really impact pomegranate quality. For example, my 'wonderful' pomegranates came out vastly different from the commercial fruit I tried the other day. The latter were very juicy, very staining, the arils dark and almost stingingly acidic (with substantial sweetness too), and the seeds very hard. My own had pinkish arils with non-staining juice, softer seeds, and a milder sweeter taste. I probably could not use mine for juice, but for fresh eating, I am very happy with them.

Good luck

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did hear that they might not get really ripe until Thanksgiving. They look big, beautiful and red ripe on the outside, and the bird have pecked and eaten half of the fruits. The seeds are as plump and soft as corn kernals. They would be great if they were really sweet and red, but instead are white and bland. Will wait until Thanksgiving to pick them. Hopefully, there will be some left. There was a very beautiful and unusual looking bird pecking at them. Feathers were like zebra feathers with red on them. Possibly, some kind of woodpecker.

• AJBB
    12 years ago

They should be ready now, if they've developed properly I generally harvest Wonderful and Utah Sweet around the third and fourth weeks of October. Angel Red is ready by the end of September. Thanksgiving is the very end of the season.

• AJBB
    12 years ago

Also, are you sure you have a Wonderful? Utah Sweet, another common variety out here, has a red / violet colored fruit on the outside and is pale white on the inside.