Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlust

Plant sale at desert botanical garden

greenlust
14 years ago

Desert Botanical Garden is hosting the sale from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 17 and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 18 at the garden, 1201 N. Galvin Parkway, Phoenix.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2009/10/09/20091009sr-plantsale1010.html

I have never been to this...like to hear from others who have been to it.

Comments (14)

• bethany_gardener
    14 years ago

OH NO! I was going to go to that. I was looking forward to it and everything but I forgot and now I'm going to be out of town then. Dang it!

• alexwayne
    14 years ago

Good tip. I will probably go there. I would have to drive almost 5 hours to get there.

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing this with everyone. I always mark my calendar to make sure I make time for both their spring and autumn plant sales. I went this morning (Friday, the less-crowded members only preview) before work and will go back again tomorrow (Saturday) as well. It's always a wonderful outing.

I stocked up on some basics (desert penstemons, desert milkweeds, more echinopsis and Australian plants) plus some fun "salvage" cacti and succulent plants from the back tent. Always fun to do a rescue or three.

Hope to hear from everyone who goes. Maybe I'll see you there tomorrow.

Take care and share what you get. :)
    Grant

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

I am so envious. I used to love going to those sales. Looking forward to seeing what everybody gets.

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

I went back Saturday and stocked up even more, oink oink. It really is a great sale. I bought many more cacti than is reasonable, plus more penstemons and some "salvage" plants (several fun sort of lopsided Echinopsis plants especially, but aloes and other goodies too). I also picked up a large Caesalpinia platyloba which is a species I'm not very familiar with (I'm a big fan of the genus, I'm just not familiar with this species, so if you are, please share your personal experiences--I've done plenty of research online and in my books)).

All in all a very good time--and believe it or not, I got all several dozen plants in the ground on Sunday. I'm so proud, LOL. Hope to see some other Shopping Confessions. :)

Take care everyone,
    Grant

• boysselle5
    14 years ago

Hello
    Where I can find a list of plants that they will have for sale?
    my email bomber6e@hotmail.com
    Thank you very much

• User
    14 years ago

Hi Grant,

I picked up the Caesalpinia platyloba a few years ago from Shady Way. It froze nearly to the ground during the winter of the Big Freeze, it's first winter, but hasn't had freeze back since. Last year was it's first year for flower for me and not so many, this year more flowers but no seeds set. It's slow to start growing....it is pretty much full summer before it's growing good, but it grows late to make up for it. Doesn't grow in winter and may go bare depending on the weather. Is prone to psyllids (SP!), mine didn't grow much this year as it had a horrible infestation of them, only recommended treatment is systemic in spring which mine will get next year. Mine has not seemed particular in water or fertilizer.

HTs! If I think of something else I will add it :o)

Lynn

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Hiya Lynn and all,

Thanks for the great information on your C. platyloba, I'll print it out and save for my records.

I'm excited to give it a try. I will be patient with it until mid-summer next year to make sure I give it some time to perform. :) I'll keep the systemic handy just in case. I really like the foliage on my little "tree". How often do you water yours? Is it a water hog? I water my C. pulcherrima once a week or ten days in the heat of summer and once a month during spring and autumn and then not at all in winter.

Any pics from yours? We'd love to seeeeeee. Thanks again for the information.

boysselle5, they don't usually print a specific list of the plants since they have various sellers and plant salvagers each year, but it's a massive sale with tons of different items. Keep an eye on their website (dbg.org) for updates maybe? They have a nice sale in spring too.

Take care,
    Grant

• User
    14 years ago

I would say I don't water more often than every 2 weeks in summer, probably less, but I don't really keep track...usually I water the rubber vine that's growing up it :o)...about every 2 weeks, then deep and wide water the tree itself once in a while. And yeah, the foliage was what got me, too, love, love, love the leaves.....in early winter they get nice and coppery to boot!

Been a long time since I put photos on here and I had to pull these from Daves since I don't use a photo site, lets see how this goes!

{{gwi:422116}}

{{gwi:422117}}

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Hiya Lynn and all,

Thanks for the information--I'll keep it handy. I've noticed some nice coppery tones starting to appear on the foliage--so nice. I'm eager to see what this puppy does for me.

Looks like the images are not working, but thanks for trying. I'll take a look online too. There are tons of nice free pic hosting websites. I use picasaweb (from Google) and really like it. Below is a link to pics from my garden in October so you can see if you like the site too.

Take care and thanks again,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant's garden in October

• User
    14 years ago

lol I guess not! I don't want to use a hosting site, I rarely post on any forum these days but when I do it's either a site that can take from my computer or a forum type (lovebird :) whose photos I already have on a webpage and I use those. If you look for this on Dave's plantfiles, you will see my photos, they aren't great but there aren't many of the tree in existence either ;P

Nice pics Grant, the jatropha is gorgeous!

Lynn

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

LOL, I did a search and saw the pics, I presume some or most are yours. They really are neat looking trees. Mine is only five feet tall with like five leaves (each with many leaflets of course). I hope it thrives for me.

Is your rubber vine a Cryptostegia??? How has it done for you??? I'd love to hear more.

Thanks for the compliments on the Jatropha gossypifolia. It's a great looking plant spring through summer. I bought several as pencil-sized twigs spring 2008 and they've done great. They are supposed to self sow to the point of being obnoxious, LOL, but so far only three seeds last year and no seedlings, but I'm hopeful. The deep burgundy foliage is hard to beat, and the flowers are pretty, though small.

Take care and post often! :)
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My Jatropha gossypifolia up close and personal

• User
    14 years ago

Very nice, I LOVE foliage :)

Yep, Cryptostegia, I think grandiflora. I love it, it loves sun and heat, what's not to love...and it's not invasive? Wonderful! I have an occasional seedling pop up but on the whole the pods take too long to fully develop or I'm sure I'd have them coming out my ears (milkweed family)Goes dormant in winter but doesn't die to the ground- develops a nice trunk.

I'm sure your platyloba will do fine...just give it sun and go lol

Lynn

• greenlust
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didnt make it to the sale. Nice to hear it was fun event. Reading posts reminded me I ned to get penstemon (pink/red flower variety). thanks for posting garden pics, looks nice. I have to try cypress vine.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner