Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quotetheraven

Plants for shaded patio

quotetheraven
12 years ago

Hi everyone,new here and trying to get some good info on what will grow on my south facing covered patio..I also have cooleroo shades that I can pull down on south and west side..pretty much always down on the west side. I want something that will survive, stay green, be pretty, fragrance would be a huge bonus as this is my serene spot. I have some nice big pots now just need to know what to fill them with, thanks for any help, suggestions...

Comments (5)

• sherizona
    12 years ago

I've grown ficus in pots in the shade, sago palms and even canna with pretty good results. Lowes sell tropical canna (that's all they are labeled, I don't have their full latin name) that are red and turn green as they age - it is a stunning plant and will give you a nice burst of color, even in the shade.

• quotetheraven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sherizona, I do have a Ficus out there, but had not thought of the other two you recommended. I have a Rubber plant that seems very happy out there, but will look into your suggestions, thanks much..steph

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Sounds like a nice space. :) I've got a south-facing covered patio too and I have some really nice pygmy date palms that have done great. You could also do some asparagus fern too--it's very versatile and takes anything from full sun to bright shade. Sherizona's suggestions are great too.

Let us know what you select and how it works out!
    Take care,
    Grant

• quotetheraven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do have a couple of asparagus ferns, two in giant pots, huge plants! and one hanging. I have been eyeing those pygmy date palms and wondered if they would do ok. They are pretty and graceful looking. I'm still looking for the Kimberly Queen? fern someone mentioned, husband loves ferns..he's brought home a orange colored Hibiscus this weekend, beautiful plant, trying hard not to kill it, lol..will it do on the shaded patio? maybe with just some morning light? wonderful forum everyone, thanks for all the help..steph

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

I love those Australian sword ferns, like Kimberly Queen. Berridge Nursery and Baker Nursery usually carry them, especially in winter. They are GREAT plants for shade here as long as you can keep them well watered. That's a big if, since they do like their water, LOL.

My pygmy date palms get no sun at all in summer when the sun is high and the patio cover keeps them shaded all day from late spring through mid-autumn. This time of year when the sun is low, they get a few hours of sunlight. They've done great for three years without being moved at all.

I love hibiscus too and always grow a few. They like sun, so if it's in a container I'd give it full sun at this time of year, as long as it was already adapted to being in sun. You wouldn't want to move a plant from shade to sun without slowly easing into sun over many days, but if it was growing in sun where your husband bought it, then sun would be best. I have a few nice red hibiscus plants in a huge container in full, hot sun and they've done great. They can get zapped by frost if it happens.

Keep us posted! It's fun to hear about how you're doing things.

Take care,
    Grant

Sponsored