Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

Fall Shopping

xica_da_silva
11 years ago

Is anyone else shopping around for plants and trees, now that fall is here? Just curious to know if anyone has made any exciting purchases? As much as I love me some capitalism, and the abundance of choices, I must admit I find it overwhelming to make choices about what to buy! lol

I feel like I need to bring some sort of Phoenix plant catalog with me (or maybe it's time for me to get an i-phone like the rest of the country!), because there are so many lovely things that I see in the nurseries, but who knows if they can survive our salty soil, our crazy summers, or even our occasional frosts?!

Anyhow, here are some things that caught my eye:

Adeniums: so cool and pretty- they look like they might need shade

Sodom Apple: non-edible but I don't care, just look at those gorgeous leaves. But I've already killed two apple trees this summer...are all apples difficult? Maybe it would survive if I put it on the east side of the house. Hnmmm...

Pink Trumpet Vines: gorgeous ones at Home Depot right now!

Loquats and Pineapple Guavas: Love those leaves. Frost-sensitive, I know. I don't even care if they produce fruit or not- I just think they're super-pretty!

Crepe Mytles: I already have a Pink Velour that's doing great after 1 -year. I'd like to get a purple one, but the leaves never look quite as healthy and happy as the Pink Velour variety when I see them in nurseries. Maybe I could make them healthy, though? Hmmm...

Anyone else care to share their current wish list?

Comments (5)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

We just got through - well, not entirely - chopping down enough overgrown wild mulberry (came up from seed), palo verde (regrew from stumps!), eucalyptus and palms (bird gifts) to fill up the easement for bulk pickup. There's so much, they may charge us, but it's got to go. We're doing this to make room for some fruit trees and perhaps berry vines and/or grapes. On my list of wants are peach, apricot, apple (Dorsett or Anna), Meyer lemon and perhaps another fig or pomegranate. Would love blackberries and - if I can determine if they have a chance here - muscadines. And I may have to order a ton of topsoil or compost before I even begin; the dirt, I think, is very poor where it's been in the shade for so long. Btw, is this what you're calling Sodom Apple?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sodom's apple?

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I can solve your shopping woes in one fell swoop. Next weekend (including Friday for members) is the biennial DBG plant sale.

You better believe everything sold there can be grown in the desert, and usually quite xerically, as well, as they are *big* on water conservation. You have the advantage, too, of them not selling for a profit - proceeds benefit the garden and it's programs - so they really have no good reason to sell you something they don't think will do great. And most of the people there will be like me - volunteers, so no sales pitch, just an all-out effort to get any questions you have answered.

Friday and Sunday I'll be at the seed-booth in the afternoons, everyone stop by and say hello!

• ra
    11 years ago

I just bought an Alphonso Mango tree and an Ice Cream bean plant this past week. And now I'm thinking of picking up a Kohala Longan as well. So many tropical fruit trees to choose from! :D

• xica_da_silva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tomatofreak- sounds like you're really busy! And yes, it's the Sodom's Apple! I love the look of those huge pale green leaves, it has such a softness to it.

Pagancat- Cool! Yep...I've already got the DBG sale on my calendar- can't wait to check it out! I'll try to stop by and say hello...not sure what day I'll be able to go yet, though.

rameiken- Ice Cream bean plant sounds intriguing!!! I'd also like to try a mango tree sometime because they are so delicious!

• sundrop07
    11 years ago

The Rare Fruit Growers sale is also next Saturday at Maricopa County Extension office around 43rd st. and Broadway. Always interesting stuff there. They can help with information growing mangoes, papaya, longan etc. Starts 8am, usually other vendors there too.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville