Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (15)

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

I love the site with exceptions to, not being able to post more than one picture at a time, the popups are very bad. It would be great if you could go back and make changes to your question after submitting and being this is an Arizona Garding site maybe postings s/b ZONE/TOWN/COUNTY it helps if we know where people are at, not just the Zone
    Thanks for asking

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

I'd like to be able to skip to "first unread" message instead of having to scroll down each thread. It would also be an improvement if we could submit the message - including photo - with one click rather than having to preview on a new page each time. We'd make mistakes, of course, but if we could edit our posts, that wouldn't be a big problem.

• Haname
    11 years ago

Ditto to every word tomatofreak wrote.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Especially the "first unread" message ... that is probably my largest beef, having gotten used to having that option on other sites.

I also wish we still had the option of ad-free membership.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

I can't really add anything that others have not already said, those are my feelings as well. But on the ads....I don't get any! Not sure what's different for me but nary an ad.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I wouldn't have said anything, lol!

• loganlady
    11 years ago

Personally I would like to split up the Arizona forum to two forums...one for the south and one for the mid/north. Two very different areas of our state..and each area would be better served.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

pagan - on the contrary. It's probably a setting somewhere and if I figure out where the setting is I'll let you know. :-)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

beca's got a good point. We might be better served with "low desert Southwest" and "high country Southwest". I doubt we here in low elevation AZ have too many differences with southern NM or inland southern CA. Or same with NV. We do have big differences with Phoenix metro and Flagstaff or Snowflake. Just an idea...

• Juttah
    11 years ago

Thanks for asking.

I understand the need for sponsorship, but the ONE thing that drives me nuts on Gardenweb are the "expandable" ads at the top.

You start reading a post, then it disappears below the fold as an ad for toilet paper or cleaning products or some other non-garden-related item s-l-o-w-l-y opens. Then you scroll down so you can keep reading the post, and waddya know, the ad shrinks and now the post moves s-l-o-w-l-y up the page (but not so slow that you can continue reading it).

Get rid of "expandable" ads or at the very least, make them gardening-related!

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Juttah, how could I forget that one! It is so annoying to have the post yo-yo up and down while the ad does its thing. I agree that the ad should just be one size and stay that way. I don't care what it's for; I just want it to stay put!

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

So, GW, how are the "changes" going? You heard from us; how 'bout we hear from you? Are any of our suggestions getting any play?

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Yeah, huh???

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

The up/down ad was bad enough, but what's with the full page pop-up???

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner