Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (11)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Drop in there before or after the Desert Botanical Garden sale, same day!

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

That's an interesting mix of plants to end up on a Permacutlure site...just saying. =p

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

...a Phoenix Permaculture site, I mean.

I mean, you could make it happen with enough work on water runoff/capture/routing, but some of those plants would be heavily challenged by Permaculture design.

Not picking on the plant sale...just a site it ended up on.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

What a crazy, busy day.....Metro Tech is that day too!

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Nc-crn, there are a lot of people who don't see heavy water use as an issue, here. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I try so hard to conserve.

Shoot, I don't want to miss Metro-tech....

• sundrop07
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tropical fruit can be grown here without heavy water use if done wisely, having an irrigated property is a huge bonus of course. One of the rare fruit guys has a ton of tropical trees on his irrigated property and doesn't do supplemental watering. He keeps at least a foot or more of mulch on the soil, never fertilizes and produces an amazing amount and variety of food. The mulch is delivered to his property free of charge, tree trimmers are delighted to bring you a load so they don't have to pay to dump it in a landfill. Small fruit trees can be grown without irrigation with heavy mulch and some supplemental watering. I too try to conserve water and have some rainwater collection set up and divert runoff to planted areas. I probably use much less water than my neighbors with lush green lawns front and back and swimming pools and I agree. Water, use it wisely. Thank you all for looking.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

If I didn't have irrigation, I'd have a totally different yard. No way would I pay for potable city water to keep this jungle green. As it is, my city water use is very low.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reminder! I did go to the rare fruit sale and bought some really fun plants, including three new-for-me varieties of pomegranate, a sapote ("custard apple") and some native passiflora, plus some interesting obscure edible/ornamentals. I've gone to the last few sales and really enjoyed them (and stocked up). I avoid the heavy water users like bananas, but only because I'm not set up for them to stay happy. Lots of people were buying them though. I finally joined the group too, since I get and read the emails and go to the sales and special lectures, I figured why not?

Luckily I went to the members only day at the DBG on Friday, so that gave me an evening to empty the car before refilling it (the trunk not the gas!) on Saturday. Great stuff all around.

And speaking of sales, the Boyce Thompson Arboretum sale has been going on for a few weeks so I went THERE yesterday to get an additional 20% off since it was the last full weekend of the sale. It's time for me to get planting!

Happy gardening all!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Hike and a shop at the Arboretum yesterday

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Oh boy, missed the Boyce-Thompson and rare fruit, good job, Grant! -but boy did I make a HAUL at the Metro Tech sale - 5 big pieces of columnar cactus to root, about 7 agaves, small but beautiful. Some opuntia, some echinocereus.

Where's my welding-gloves and tongs, lol?

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Congrats on your haul too, Pagan. We're looking forward to pics! Happy gardening all!

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Yeah.... for some reason, I've been on a picture strike, lately. Need to dust that puppy off!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone