Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palo verdes... what are the differences?

Posted by julianna 7bAR (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 16:58

Hi all! I'm looking at Palo Verdes and I am not sure what are the differences between the species and cultivars. If one was looking for one that would be a longer-lived, small tree that reached that small tree size in a reasonable time with bright green bark, is there one that is preferable over another? Would all of them do OK with 16 or so inches of rain a year in a climate like 10a? Thanks!

edited to add one more question-- can they be grown easily from seed? Thanks!

This post was edited by julianna on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 17:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palo verdes... what are the differences?

The Desert Museum is my favorite by far. It's also thornless which is awesome IMHO.

o

Thanks! I am leaning toward that as the superior one. But it looks like finding a small one for sale via mail order is harder than I thought.

o

Try to find one on it's own roots, I have them growing on a property in S.E. Arizona. They had trouble the first year because of the unusually cold winter & rabbits chomping on the trunks. They have now come back from the roots and are growing fantastic. I just got back from looking at them yesterday. They had not been watered for 4 months except for rain. Not bad for something that's been in the ground for 1.5 years..

o

I read they rarely make seed, and it seems like since they are a cross of 3 species that seed wouldn't come true most likely. I wonder how hard it is to root a cutting.

o

According to the local grower I buy mine from, it's VERY hard. I get mine from Marbil - http://www.marbilnursery.com/
Margret sells 1 gallons for $12.00 if I remember right. If you can't find one, I could ship one to you. I plan to buy a few small ones for my property so I will be making the trip.

This post was edited by V8Vega on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 20:17

o

A better palo verde hybrid IMO is the Sonoran Emerald. Also thornless, but a deeper blue green and not as vulnerable to breaking in wind. It's grown locally and available at retail nurseries. It does grow to about 25 x 25.

If you're looking for a small palo verde, select the Foothills or Littleleaf (Parkinsonia microphylla).

Here's a database where you can see photos and descriptions of the various palo verde trees. They used to be in the genus Cercidium but were moved to Parkinsonia about 5 years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Wise Landscaping

o

V8Vega-- thanks for the offer! If I was closer to my potential move I would probably take you up on that, but alas I'm maybe 6-8 months out.

Thanks Aztreelvr! Yeah, it was the local thing which was making it hard to find things online. It seems like a decent priced small tree is hard to come by on mail order.

o

Great info, AZtreelover. I had no idea there was a thornless cultivar (besides Desert Museum.) Once you try to prune a thorny PV, you'll appreciate the advantages of a thornless one! (ditto for mesquite) But I like my roses thorny, so I'll get out the leather gloves for these...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here