Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyscarlet

Citrus trees- what size to plant?

sunnyscarlet
14 years ago

We have been living in a rental home for the past year in Northeast Phoenix, and have really enjoyed the citrus trees in the backyard. We are now going to be moving into a home that we've purchased and plan on staying in for around 5 years. We want to plant citrus trees and have at least a few years to be able to enjoy the fruit from them, but I'm having a hard time finding information on what age/size we should purchase.

I've been looking through the forum, and haven't yet found an answer to my question, so I apologize if I'm repeating a question that has already been answered.

So, specifically, I am trying to understand if there is a difference in purchasing 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 15 gallon or 24 gallon trees at a nursery. Will they all produce fruit in the same time frame? I was told from one nursery, that we should purchase 24 gallon, but I've read elsewhere that 15 gallon should be the size to purchase. The nursery, of course, benefits when we purchase 24 gallon trees, as they are significantly more expensive than 15 gallon (or less) trees. So I wasn't sure if this information was correct.

Do any of you have experience in purchasing different ages/sizes and having better results with a certain age/size?

Comments (7)

• sunnyscarlet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tugbrethil, thank you for your response. The information you shared with me was very helpful. It gives me something to think and ponder on, before I make a decision.

• softmentor
    14 years ago

mmmm doesn't take that long. larger sizes, 15 gal and up, will be best if you strip all the fruit off the year you plant it. Only let 3 or 4 pieces stay on the second year, so it puts more into growing the tree. You should have a pretty good crop the third season. It is true that old mature trees have better tasting fruit, so look down the road a few years to a bumper crop of top quality fruit.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

The larger trees are rootbound, and never quite recover. I had two 24" boxe trees put in at the same time as I planted 2 5-gallons of the same species. Within 2 years there was no difference, and in 4 years the 5-gallon trees were more vigorous.

Also, it's a lot easier to dig a proper hole for smaller trees.

I hate to plant anything larger than a 15-gallon tree because

• softmentor
    14 years ago

I tend to agree with lazygardens. Although you get a big tree right away, the small, less than 5 gal. size are the prime size from the nursery growers. Any size larger has spent a lot of time in a pot and will be root bound. All of my 100+ trees have been started from 5 gal size or burlap wrap straight from the nursery. And I agree, they only need a couple of years to equal their big potted brothers.

• fruitvibes_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have tried different sizes, and have found that the 5 gallon sizes tend to sit around a year without doing much after transplanting. That's very frustrating.

The 15 gallon trees ALWAYS seem to not mind getting planted, probably because they are so well established, there isn't much shock, and within a year, they are HUGE, whereas, I'm looking over my 5 gallon trees, and I'm thinking of replacing them.

A $50 or $75 tree that's a year or two older than a $25 tree in a 5 gallon pot is a much better deal in my opinion.

I have about 60 trees.

• nurseryparadise
    7 years ago

The most popular size seem to be the 7 gal and 15 gallon size. They are not too expensive but take off well. The 24" Box are pretty expensive, but some folks really want a big tree now, so thats the size to get. Where its not so large you need a bobcat. The 5 gallon is good if your patient, know what your doing, and willing to take the time to give them extra care. Some trees like lemons and limes grow quicker that mandarins and oranges. But at the end, its about the size you want the tree to be now, and money you want to spend. Check out our citrus varieties at Paradise Nursery in Los Angeles