Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyscarlet

Citrus trees- what size to plant?

sunnyscarlet
14 years ago

We have been living in a rental home for the past year in Northeast Phoenix, and have really enjoyed the citrus trees in the backyard. We are now going to be moving into a home that we've purchased and plan on staying in for around 5 years. We want to plant citrus trees and have at least a few years to be able to enjoy the fruit from them, but I'm having a hard time finding information on what age/size we should purchase.

I've been looking through the forum, and haven't yet found an answer to my question, so I apologize if I'm repeating a question that has already been answered.

So, specifically, I am trying to understand if there is a difference in purchasing 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 15 gallon or 24 gallon trees at a nursery. Will they all produce fruit in the same time frame? I was told from one nursery, that we should purchase 24 gallon, but I've read elsewhere that 15 gallon should be the size to purchase. The nursery, of course, benefits when we purchase 24 gallon trees, as they are significantly more expensive than 15 gallon (or less) trees. So I wasn't sure if this information was correct.

Do any of you have experience in purchasing different ages/sizes and having better results with a certain age/size?

Comments (7)

Sponsored