Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for decorating around a water fountain

Posted by robinandhugh Arizona (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 18:29

Hi all!

I have a water fountain positioned in a corner of my backyard patio, next to a block fence. The fountain is surrounded by a stone/block wall and there are tiki torches on both sides of the fountain.

What I need help with.....what would you recommend I put in the area surrounding the fountain? When you gaze upon the fountain from several paces back it's attractive, however, when you stand right at the fountain you see the ugliness of the tiki torch stands and fountain base, which is merely cinder blocks. Thanks for any help you can offer

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard water fountain

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for decorating around a water fountain

I really like that fountain. Very fun. How much sun does that area get? That will help everyone make some suggestions.

If it's sunny, some bright lantanas might be fun, if it's shady, bright coleus could work too, or even some large-leaf tropicals if you're in a warm part of town. The super colorful ornamental sweet potatoes might work out well too, though they tend to shut down in winter. From mostly-sunny to mostly-shady most of the asparagus ferns would work too.

Keeping with either a colorful or lush/tropical look seems like it would work well with the fountain and torches.

Let us see/hear more, especially when you add some plants. I really like this corner of your garden!

Take care,
Grant

o

That's a great fountain. Very cute. I spy a little solar panel there so it must get some amount of sun. You have many options. Are you looking for annuals or perennials?

Myself, I think I'd raise your fountain several inches higher. A few more bricks under there. Don't forget that as you plant, he's going to be tongue deep in foliage. :)Then I'd bring in the tropicals in keeping with his theme.

You may need to raise your solar panel also.

o

Cool fountain!
One problem I keep having with fountains is that if the water splashes the plants regularly, they succumb to salt poisoning and hard water deposits! I really haven't found anything that survives that.
For a pretty hardscape surround, instead, fill up most of the space with sand, and top it off with a pretty stone, such as polished jade or Chinese marble pebbles. Interspersing a few larger, complementary cobbles can add interest, too. Look up Zen "sand gardens" or "dry gardens" for ideas. Remember not too draw too much attention from the fountain itself.
For easier access to the base of the fountain, and/or the electrical source, use styrofoam packing peanuts, instead of sand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here