Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marymcp_2

Fall Plant Swap/Get Together Nov 10th

Come one. Come all. And bring a friend:

November 10th from 8 - 1ish. It's being held at a church on Central and Glendale avenue. We'd have to bring some of our own chairs and tables (they would provide a couple tables and some chairs), and we would have access to bathrooms, a playground and electricity. There is no cost as we would be outside. The church is also close to two different community gardens as well as the The Root (Urban Farm Nursery) at 7120 N. 12th St

If you have plants, cuttings, or seeds to swap please bring them along. It's short notice so if you don't have anything handy just come and set a spell, chat with other valley gardeners. The announcement was posted on Dave's Garden: Southwest Forum, All Things Plants: Arizona Gardening and I'll post also on the VPA site.

The weather is grand for it. Hope to see many of you in order to put faces to screen names.

Comments (23)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

How did you manage to post this? I got a pop-up window that abruptly told me that I could not mention DG in any fashion when I attempted to link an article posted in a DG newsletter. I had to rewrite my message.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dunno, but now I'll take pagancat's warning.....don't mention it too loudly. It may have been that you tried a link but I also disabled pop ups.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I really hope I can make this. Things are kinda piling up around here (projects) but that shouldn't get in the way....?

• DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
    11 years ago

This is in Phoenix?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes - Phoenix. Where are you lakedweller?

• DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
    11 years ago

I'm in Tucson now, but my user name dates to years of hanging out on the Virginia forum.

Original Author
    11 years ago

One or more members from Dave's will sometimes come up. Email if you would like me to connect you with some folks in Tucson. Thanks for the interest, many of us would sincerely like to see companionship and commaradrie between *all* forums.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Actually, I just wish we'd all pick one forum, lol. I hate going between them, and I'm too cheap to go back to DG.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Ditto, P.C. Mary, I think a few of the Tucson folks have moved to other climes. Jill moved not too long ago to Nebraska.

Original Author
    11 years ago

didn't know Jill moved - darn! There's still Dete though, unless he packs up for Hawaii so he can grow those plumies in a more hospitable climate.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Actually, he'll be up here Sunday - I asked him to do some photography for me. Well, of me. And Teddy.

Original Author
    11 years ago

ahhhh, sweet. He'll do a good job for sure.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I'm in touch with Detrick, Eileen ... and I think that's it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump - this is next weekend, Saturday. 8am'ish. The NWC of Central and Glendale Ave's.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

So far I have a purple basil start and a purple and a green Ornamental Sweet 'tater start to give away, lol. Not exactly overflowing with stuff, but that's what I got!

I'm really going to see the people, of course - will be nice to reconnect!

Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have much either but hope to get some cuttings started today although it's getting on in the day......I go for the social hit. Some folks I only see at swaps and it's just fun to connect.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay PC, thanks for the kick in the butt. I've got 8 cuttings and am waiting for Judy to tell me what they are. All I know is:

Lady Slipper - sqiggly growing plant
    Lady Slipper cousin - varigated leaves, pink tinge in winter sun
    African Poinsettia - originally from AZRobin. What ever happened to that girl?? Fell off the radar.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's what they are, if anyone is interested.

Pedilanthus macrocarpus, the other one is Euphorbia tirucalli.

If you can't make the swap and want some of these pretty ladies, just let me know. Looking at those pictures, mine may need more sun - or something. They do not get that bright red.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Images

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Shoot, I'd *love* some pedilanthus. Wonder what else I can dig up around here.... =)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

It was a lovely, albeit chilly morning, thanks so much Jackie for setting it up. Good to sit and yak, and I love my new succulents.

And my dogs love the new toys, lol!

(Cross posted to ATP!)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Hey Mary, what was the name of the shriveled-kale looking thing?

Original Author
    11 years ago

From me? In those recycled toilet paper rolls? It's lighter in color than kale though right? I think you are asking about pedilanthus tithymaloides varigata or Devil's Backbone

Here is a link that might be useful: Devil's Backbone

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Nope... dark as Kale, kinda flower shaped. Perhaps I got it from Jackie, although I thought Judy B said she had a bunch from you. No biggie.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012