Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberoctober

Did I kill my fig tree?

AmberOctober
9 years ago

Hi folks.

Well, I finally replanted my fig tree (from my backyard to a huge crate that I made myself). I tried to wait until it gets dormant but it was growing so fast and WIDE, so I couldn't give it a few more months.
Anyway, last night I waited for the sun to go down and tried to dig it out. It did not go good. Not good at all. I couldn't move it and had to call my husband for help. He pulled it out and I think 80% of roots were destroyed, if not more. I don't think there was a better way to do it :(
Anyway, in just a few hours it started looking really bad. Witted, lifeless. It hasn't been 24 hours yet but I think it is dying and dying fast. Is there anything I could do? It hurts for me to even go out there and look at it.

Comments (17)

• ra
    9 years ago

any pics?

I think you really should have waited until winter when it's dormant. Did you cut the roots around when you're digging it? because pulling it out while most of it's roots are still attached to the ground will really damage and disturb the whole root system.

try pruning some of its branches off (since it won't be able to support all of its leaves anyway with most of its roots destroyed), and keep it moist until it goes dormant. hopefully it'll bounce back next spring.

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Whatever you do, keep it moist and try not to shake, move or touch it until the roots have a chance to establish themselves. Figs have a way of coming back; we were transplanting one earlier this year and most of the tree broke off leaving an empty little stub! Anyway, with careful watering and TLC, the stumpy thing grew out into a lovely, round little tree. Good luck.

• AmberOctober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

raimeiken, I will post pics tomorrow.
    I did cut the roots. I was digging around with my shovel as I was hoping to lift the whole (or the most) rootball out with soil. Everywhere I read they were saying that figs have shallow roots. But it turned out, the most of the roots were growing straight down and got completely torn off when my husband pulled the tree :(

• AmberOctober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you surya55.

Glad your tree survived!

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Wilted is to be expected from any transplanted tree. As was said, don't let the roots go dry and it should recover.

• AmberOctober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the poor thing. Do you think I should just cut all branches off?

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

No, I think that will make it start to push new growth to the pruned branches, taking energy away from the already struggling root system. Just keep the roots moist, and Just Wait Grasshopper. Patience. Do nothing - I know, that's the hardest part.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

What MaryMcP said.

• AmberOctober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. I will keep updating.

• AmberOctober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks much better to me. What do you think?

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

Yayyyyy. Good job Amber!

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Now it will start to go dormant;-)

• AmberOctober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, marymcp. I think a little bit of ammonium sulfate did the trick. For about a week i was watching a strange (to me) transformation. The tree was thriving early in the morning and two hours later looked horrible. Then the same the day after. I eventually added AS, just a tiny bit, and another week later it stopped getting witted.
    Im wondering if new leaves will grow on the spots where the old ones were. The tree used to have such thick foliage. I hate to see its trunk being so exposed.

• AmberOctober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

haha, fascist_nation, I thought the same thing :))
    When is it going to go dormant? Will it loose its leaves? Do citrus trees loose leaves here in AZ? This is going to be the first winter for all my trees. So far, only the lemon tree did not make it thru the summer. Four others are still here.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Citrus are evergreen. My figs are already yellowing up.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

The tree was thriving early in the morning and two hours later looked horrible. Then the same the day after. I eventually added AS, just a tiny bit, and another week later it stopped getting witted.

==>>> you are trying to love this thing to death ...

classic symptoms of transplant shock ... the roots not able to pump enough water.. during the heat of the day ... with recovery in dark... no sun ..

as you were told.. all you needed was water ...

IMHO ... you got very lucky you didnt love it to death ... with the AS ...

you have been repeatedly told its time for it to go dormant ... which means.. in my book.. stop all fertilizer or soil amendments.. until it starts to grow in spring ...

hyper fert'g late in the season.. has the potential to interfere with proper hardening off to dormancy ... and that is usually.. not good ...

please... try not to love it to death ... and good luck

ken

• centurion_
    9 years ago

Be sure to cover your tree when it freezes.

My inground fig trees are all going into dormancy, but my potted trees, which I cover at night, are not going dormant and continuing to grow, and we are colder up here than in Phoenix. If you protect it at night, it will continue to recover and thrive.

You can use a large pot from a nursery, or put a little structure over it and drape a tarp or a sheet over it at night.

Do you have some more recent pics?