Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thorstomato

Can pear trees grow in phoenix?

thorstomato
9 years ago

I was wondering if pear trees can grow in Phoenix? I tried googling but I didnt find anything useful. I know they are a lot like apples right? I mean I know some varieties of apples can flourish here but what about pears? Anyone know? Can they take the heat? I wanted to grow pears because they are my fav sweet / healthy snack.

Comments (6)

• cwlucking
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if it's still there but there used to be a 30' tall pear tree on Glendale between Central and 7th St. on the south side. I have two pear trees that I planted in my back yard in spring 2012, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get my first crop this coming spring(but I think 4-5 years to become established is more realistic). They seem healthy - one is a Sensation Red bartlett (that I was told "may or may not" bear fruit) and the other is a multi-budded pear, with Florida Home, Hood, and Comice varieties. "Monterrey" was the other variety that was available on the multi-budded trees from Baker where I bought it.
    I think in general Pears have a hard time here. I remember reading that the asian varieties fair better - "Ya Li" being one example.

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

I pretty sure you can grow pears in Phoenix. You just need to get the right kind. I grew pears in So. Cal on the coast and now I am growing them here in Camp Verde. I have a comice and a Asian. Cal it was a Bosh. Just remember to buy one's that are disease resistant as fire blight likes pears. With the names that clucking and I have provided go on line and ck them out. Ck for chill hours needed and if it needs a pollinator. Do your home work and you should be fine.
    PS ck my Blog-" I am so done" posted 4-5 days ago.

• azbolt
    9 years ago

I have three pear trees and one Asian pear. Asian pear doesn't do well for me, small dry fruit. The other three are Moonglow, Bartlett and Stark Bros. Starking. The Bartlett produces a lot of pears every year, the Starking just a few but they are huge and the Moonglow seems to produce a lot every other year. I agree, do your research and find some low chill varieties that work well in the valley.

Kevin

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

I just took a picture of the pears coming off one of my trees for another site, fruit and nut orchard. These are soft ball size

• thorstomato
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the great info. I'm gonna have a go at it! Wish me luck!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia