Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Main

Posted by s4ntos3 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 18:58

I was wondering how concerned I should be about planting a tree near the main water line into my house. I'm specifically thinking of planting a thornless hybrid mesquite.

I have an area that is approximately 10'-12' wide and maybe 15' long. One side is bordered by my drive way, another by the sidewalk, a third by the walkway to my door and the 4th has the main water line running along it. The center of the tree trunk will be approximately 5'-6' away from the water main.

So my question is, how concerned should I be that the roots might one day cause a rupture in the water main?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Main

I wouldn't be concerned at all. At the surface there can be some concern. The supply line is 18" or 24" down I think, not sure. There is of course a chance a root might happen to get close and grow in diameter enough to cause a problem, but kind of remote. The pipes to have some give.

Not planting directly above is a good idea should the pipe have to be replaced.

o

I would suggest a Crown Jewel Mesquite. It is a thornless but grows much slower than other varieties. Some will grow 30ft tall and wide and need a lot of pruning. But if you prune too much you get a weak root system and the tree can go over in a monsoon. The Crown Jewel Mesquite is much easy to maintain.

o

Thanks for the replies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here