Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised container gardening experts

Posted by phoenixsheila az (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 19:08

New to gardening. Can I hire a reliable person to help me build a vegetable garden in raised containers correctly positioned in my yard? Any experiences you can share? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised container gardening experts

Where do you live?

We can give you advice if you give us more information.

o

i made one this spring and it works great. square foot gardening.
go to lowe's or home depot and buy a 2x12 that is 12 feet long. cut into 4 equal 3-foot lengths. (they will do it there for free in the back of the store.)also pick up a box of 2 inch screws and some twine or thread. i used dowels on mine. also get about 5 cubic yards of soil to fill it about 2/3 of the way. (i prefer kellogs, it's very composty)
now go home and build it. the only tool you need is a screwgun. be sure to pay attention to the way you put the corners together.(left piece over the right, or right over left) it must be done the same way on all four corners or it won't be square. once the box is built, just put a screw at 12" intervals in the top side of the box. these are what you will tie your string to. go straight across, nice and tight so it makes a tic tac toe. when the string is on you will have 9 different plots. for dowels you would use 2 screws and pinch it down under the haeds of the 2 screws at each end of the dowel.
you can grow everything you normally would with less water, less fertilizer, less weeds, less headache. and it's only 3' x 3' so it should fit just about anywhere. i've even seen them up on tables for less bending! square foot gardening also takes advantage of companion planting benefits.

12' of 2x12 lumber - $10-12
1 box of 2" screws - $5
4 dowels (36") or durable thread or twine - $4-5

o

I can help you. I can build, place, plant, run irrigation, and do whatever you need done.

you can email me by going to the (My Page) link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here