Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Testing

Posted by shadetreetim Chandler,AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 19:26

Anyone out there know how or where I can get my soil tested? I'm curious to know if I need to admend the soil at my house to provide the most beneficial growing enviroment possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Testing

Theres a few dozen around town, some (or most) growers I know send there samples to labs in CA.
Near your part of town;

Chandler Analytical
571 N. 54th St.
Chandler AZ 85226
480-963-2495

MotZZ Laboratory, Inc
2109 S 48th St, Suite 101
Tempe AZ 85282
Ph: 602-454-2376

Aquatic Consulting and Testing, Inc.
1525 W. University Dr, Suite 106
Tempe, AZ 85281
480-921-8044

o
RE: Soil Testing

Our soils here in the metro Phoenix area usually have a pH of from 8 to 8.5, with almost no organic matter. In large areas it is impossible to reduce the pH but if you are planning a vegetable garden or small planting areas for annual flowers, you can amend the soil in these locations. Otherwise, there is no need to try and incorporate amendments into the rest of your yard.

There are hundreds of perennial shrubs, groundcovers, trees, etc., that are native or adapted to our region and will thrive here. When planting these just use native soil as the backfill. For a free full-color booklet on plant choices, contact the City of Chandler water conservation at the link below.

If your question deals with vegetable or annual beds, you will want to create a mixture of 1/3 native soil, 1/3 mulch and 1/3 sand, pumice or vermiculite into a 12 inch layer. Because organic matter disappears in our soil after 6 months to 1 year, you will need to add 4" of compost or mulch to theses areas once or twice a year. More information on when to plant vegetables or flowers can be found at the University of Arizona Maricopa County Extension web site at http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/pubs/pubs.htm

I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: City of Chandler landscape resources

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here