Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
low growing perennials

Posted by DocHollywood Tucson, AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 19:32

Recently purchased a 2nd home in Tucson. Spend most of our time in Portland, OR currently. We are trying to add some color to a planter on the southside of the house that is partially shaded by a mesquite tree midday, otherwise some morning and evening sun. Drip irrigation in place. Looking for suggestions for colorful perennials that mature at a height of about 18-24 inches or less (dont want them above the bottom of the window). Planter is about 18 inches deep and 6-7 feet long. Not interested in cacti for this location and we already have lots of lantana in the landscape. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: low growing perennials

i'm a big fan of salvia gregii and such things, they have a pleasant scent and appearance for years and don't grow tall. they won't be very happy if your drip system goes out :) i'd use aloes if that was a possibility.

o

Lantana was my first thought, but you say you've got enough of that for your taste for now, so I'd suggest thinking about some of the dwarf growing Ruellia plants (not the full sized as they'd be taller than your stated height restriction, but the 'Katy' varieties would stay shorter). I like xoxos' suggestion of Salvia greggii too. Asparagus fern would do well there too, though won't provide much flower color.

Let us know what you select and how it works out! Portland and Tucson?? You get the best of both worlds!

Take care,
Grant

o

Thanks for the suggestions. Looked up some of the smaller aloes, they look pretty good as do a couple of the salvia. Was previously looking at the ruellia and then read that they were considered an invasive species now. Is this true? The asparagus fern would definitely be a texture difference.

o

Ruellia does travel seeking water but if you are planting in a planter, as mentioned in the first post, you don't need to worry about the invasiveness of a plant. It won't grow outside the box (unless the box is sitting on the ground and there's drainage holes in the bottom that roots could grow through.) Asparagus fern can be terrible to get out of a bed once established so that would be a definate no-no in ground. Sounds like you have some great suggestions. Post a picture when you get the planter done.

o

The planter is built of brick and I believe is sitting on the bare gound so roots/ruellia may be a problem. Thanks for the asparagus fern tip.

o

Instead of ruling either plant out, just plant them in a planter that you sink into the ground. That's what I did with walking onions in my garden....and wish I had done with the lemon balm and English thyme. Gads they took over the whole bed. Next time I plant them, and I will b/c I love both, I'll plant them in a container and plant the container!

o

I like to line a planter with pond liner (a thick rubber), fill with yard soil (clay). No drainage. There are lots of great plants that will grow in that kind of "wet bed". Most any pond plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here