Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

Fussy Seeds?

xica_da_silva
13 years ago

Hi all,

I just received my little packet of Victoriana Silver Lace Black Primrose seeds(primula x polyantha). Yay! Now comes the hard part, I need to figure out how to grow them! The directions on the packet say:

- Sow seed in cell packs or flats (easy enough)

- Don't cover seeds (easy enough)

- Needs light to germinate (can I assume this includes artificial light, or indirect sunlight? And is it supposed to be constant?)

- Kept at 60-65 degrees F...Screeeeech! So, is there some way I can use a thermos container to achieve this constant temperature range(tinkering with the amount of ice periodically)? Is this how it's normally done by normal hobbyists like myself(or do they go and buy a mini fridge, even though it's rather expensive to do so)? Normal fridge and freezer used for food would of course be too cold. I suppose I could wait for outside average temps to lower a bit but 60-65 F seems quite a limited range, and there's no controlling Mother Nature and her fickle ways. I like the idea of a controlled environment but am not sure how to achieve it. And when the package says '60-65', is that for 'optimal' conditions or is there any flexibility there?

And finally, is there some small, inexpensive magical device for temp control for seeds? Your thoughts?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!