Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shamel Ash Tree

Posted by az_pamperedchef 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 20:45

So, I have (had) this beautiful Shamel Ash tree in my yard right on my lawn. It was planted when we bought the house. It was doing well, but all of sudden, and I mean in this last year since winter, it tried to green up after losing its leaves. It just couldn't do it, the buds looked like they were there, but wouldn't break forth. Now the top of the tree with its gorgeous 10' canopy is dead, but lots of new shoots are coming up from the base of the trunk. My question is this, I'd like to cut the trunk down and allow all this new growth to take over.

1. I'm not sure the tree will survive if I do that and

2. If it would survive when it the time to cut the trunk down?

I'm sorry I don't have a picture, my hubby misplaced the camera. Thanks for everyone's help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shamel Ash Tree

• Posted by xill none (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 21:14

the type of pruning i think you're referring to is called "pollarding" a tree. it's common here (Imperial Valley, CA) to do that to Indian Laurels, Mulberries, and sometimes Mesquites if they really get out of hand. I'm not sure if a Shamel Ash could handle that much pruning, but I figured if you knew the proper term it might help you in your searching

o

It'll probably survive, but as a bush, not as a tree.

Do you know why the top of the tree died? Perhaps the tree is diseased or rootbound; in that case, it's best to start over with a new (healthy) tree.

o

You will get a weak-trunked shrub, not a tree.

I'm not sure what happened to the tree - it may have had a watering problem or been root bound.

Dig it up and check the root system, and then plant another tree. They grow quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here