Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost Tumblers

Posted by jimdaz 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 05 at 21:18

Does anyone know of a place in Phoenix to buy a "Compost Tumbler"? It is a device where you put plant material in, and turn it. Sort of like a small cement mixer for organic material. I see them online, but wonder if a local merchant carries them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost Tumblers

Jim, I have only seen those online--even people from the SC&M forum can't find them locally. You can check seedsofchange dot com and some other sites for more info. Make sure that if you get one, make sure you get a container of some type to catch the black oozing stuff so you can make compost tea. That stuff does wonders for your plants.

GL and HTH

o

Thanks ADR, I am helping a neighbor out for his wife's Birthday present next week. Told him I have seen them on online, but he was hoping for a local source. My compost pile is from the dark ages, just a large plastic bin!

o

Living in such a remote area as I do, I ordered a back porch compost tumbler thru the mail. Once I got the hang of what to add and how much to add, I have had success at making compost. If you're interested here is their number:

1-888-820-5114

o

I've been eyeing those myself, and yeah have only found them on line. I have three compost bins via the City of Chandler and really would like something easier to use. Ah well, someday...

o

• Posted by jll0306 10 High Desert (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 15:01

I'm practicing making my first compost pile in a rubbermaid tub. I've heard of the tumblers, but am hoping that I can just wrap some bungy cord around the tub and roll it a bit to get the same effect.

My DH has a friend who tells him that composting isn't a good thing to do in the desert. Does anyone know why that would be true?

Thanks,
Jan

o

No! Compost is the most important thing you can add to desert soil. Keep it moist. Make sure you allow for air flow in your tub.
Happy gardening

o

I use the one below. I'm in michigan and even so sometimes in the summer it got so hot I could open it and see steam (heat is good, it speeds up the promise). I can only imagine what parking that black plastic in the Arizona sun will do for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: my compost tumbler

o

I use the one below. I'm in michigan and even so sometimes in the summer it got so hot I could open it and see steam (heat is good, it speeds up the promise). I can only imagine what parking that black plastic in the Arizona sun will do for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: my compost tumbler

o
RE: Compost Tumblers oops

gah sorry about the duplicate post, my browser was being all weird.

o

I live in Glendale and got one of the compost tumblers for Christmas this past year. It works great. Being black it creates a lot of heat and everything you put into it decomposes really fast. It's so much easier than trying to turn the compost in the plastic bin. There's even a spout at the bottom to drain compost tea. Mine was ordered on line.

o

Jan, I've done my compost tumbling as you're describing: in rubber tubs with bungee cords to keep the lids on. My only complaint is that I don't think the material got enough oxygen during the tumbling so it tended to get stinky. Now I'm using tubs but I pour it from one tub to the other (about 50 gallon containers 2/3 full) every other day. So far so good. So cheap!

o

I was thinking about making my own compost bin with garbage can, but after looking ata buying the can, screen (to keep the mice out after you drill the holes) and an auger to stir it.. I just thing spending 99.00 on a small cheap compost bin is the better way to go.. Any advice??

o

I saw some at tropicamango nursery that looked pretty nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: tumbler for compost

o

Lowes has them. I got a stationary unit, just tumble with a pitchfork..easy as heck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here