Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdlady_in_mesa

Stapelia leendertziae - it opened!!

birdlady_in_mesa
18 years ago

I finally finally caught this thing with the dang flower open! The buds are huge, almost 5" long. Kinda smells like bug spray. Sorry the pic is not too good, I'll try again in the morning, but then again, it may be closed tomorrow!

Susie

{{gwi:423479}}

Comments (20)

• magnetogram
    18 years ago

just when i thought i was done collection stapelia. thanks susie! LOL where did you get that beauty from??? thanks for sharing.

detrick

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Quite nice! What does the inside look like?

(Good job on the photos! It is a great improvement!)

• CissyCat
    18 years ago

Very Nice! I'm thinking that stapelia and plumies are about the same for me...they both grow and do well, but I can't get them to bloom...sigh*
    What did you do to get those huge blooms? I need the secret!

Trudi :0)

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Ooooh!!!!!
    :)

• eileenaz
    18 years ago

I LOVE that thing!

• acsagapeplants
    18 years ago

This is way kewl, come on Susie tell us where you found it!!

• RODICA
    18 years ago

Wow Susie

I am impressed. It is a beautiful plant.
    I have the one that looks like a starfish and it blooms quite often.
    Where did you get this plant and what is the official name?

Rodica

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Lovely and GREAT JOB with the pic. I have this as well (got mine at Arizona Cactus Sales in Chandler...where did you get yours?) but mine has been a shy bloomer this year. Yours looks very, very happy. I'm envious of those nice stinky blooms!

Thanks for sharing,
    Grant

• roo2000
    18 years ago

Awesome pic, Susie!

• birdlady_in_mesa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The official name is stapelia leendertziae and it started blooming about 3 weeks ago. I fed it with tomato food and wala- lots of big buds. I usually don't get to see them open, but this one is still open and there are 3 other nice big buds on it!

I, too, got mine at AZ Cactus Sales in Chandler last fall. They have a great selection and the prices are outstanding. I think this one, 6" pot and a huge plant, was $6.99. I also purchased 3 others while I was there. I almost missed them, as they were in the one cactus room they have. As you go in, you are immediately drawn to all the great plants on the tables. I was so enamored, I went from table to table, like a butterfly on a lantana.... but was quite disappointed to only find 2" stapelias. :( So, I looked over to tell Eva (Roo) that I really wanted some big stapliads and that is when I noticed the 20 or so 6" pots hanging from the rafters! DUH! I intend to go back in the next 2 weeks and see if I can get some more!

Susie
    {{gwi:423480}}
    {{gwi:423481}}
    {{gwi:423482}}

• turtleman49
    18 years ago

Cool Staps folks... heres a few that Grant sent me last season,, I need to get them in a larger container.. I just dont have the time or help!...LOL

{{gwi:423483}}

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Susie, the follow up pic is terrific too. Staps are so fun because the more you have together, the better they look. Talk about a forumula for a shopping disaster. :P

Turtle, those formerly-cuttings look AWESOME. They obviously love the care you're giving them. Thanks for the fun update.

Take care,
    Grant

• acsagapeplants
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info on this Susie, I picked one up today...and it was in bloom!

• mingtea
    18 years ago

susie,
    great pics!

i got mine in tucson at Plants for the Southwest. they didn't have too many of them, but i got a nice healthy fellow. it had a bloom on it when i bought it, but it was small and aborted when i moved it to our new place.

-ming

• DrGreen_Thumb
    18 years ago

Hey Everyone,
    I have 3 types of STAPELIA. All of them smell like roting meat, which attracts flies laying their eggs. check out my time lapse of these flies and the accumulation of their eggs.
    Dr. GreenThumb

http://thetwins.org/adventures_flies/base0.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Adventures in Gardening::: Flies

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    18 years ago

Ummm, gosh....how nice. Where do these people come from???

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Mary, Road Kill Cactus...it's an aquired taste LOL!! My family thinks I'm nuts everytime one of my stinkers bloom

18 years ago

Road Kill Cactus . . . very funny GT. But it was the time delay pictures of flies laying eggs that I thought was a bit odd. Maybe it's just me that's odd.....*that* has been suggested before. ;-) I don't even wanna _think_ about flies laying eggs. Ugh!

Mary

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Mary, We ALL think your odd! J/K!

18 years ago

There once was a girl named Mary
    Quite often she was thought to be airy

At times maybe odd
    Not to be found in a pea pod

But she thinks GW buddies are cool!

heh, heh.