Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_chybil

Paperwhite - My drumstick trees are growing!

Miss_Chybil
18 years ago

I have them in 4" pots on the window sill. They've only been there for about 8, or 9, days and they have sprouted and are 4 to 5 inches high! I don't know what to do next. How long do I leave them in the small pots? Do I move them from small pots to bigger pots and then outside? Or, do I move them straight from the small pots to outside? How big should they be before I transplant them, either way? Do they transplant easily?

Thanks, so much for the seeds. I'm excited. I've never grown a tree before. I've never grown most things before!

Comments (44)

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

A drumstick tree? I'm clueless; did you get this 'seed' from a chicken? Will someone please explain what this tree is.

• judy_b
    18 years ago

I did a Google search and what an interesting tree it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drumstick tree

• Miss_Chybil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL! I got the seeds from Paperwhite.

"Which tree grows quickly, provides tasty and nutritious food, is both resilient and common in tropical areas, and can even purify water--but has been overlooked by modern medicine?

The Moringa or "drumstick" tree (moringa oleifera) "is an all-natural, inexpensive and accessible multi-vitamin," says Lowell Fuglie, West Africa representative of Church World Service. The tree's leaves contain high amounts of Vitamin A (four times more than carrots), Vitamin C (seven times more than oranges), protein (twice that of milk), calcium (four times more than milk) and potassium (triple the amount in bananas)."

more at link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Drumstick Tree

• Miss_Chybil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How beautiful! I can't wait... Thank you.

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Paperwhite, I'd love a few seeds! This is a fascinating tree.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Very cool.... Judy_B, that was an interesting link. Someday I'd like to have a potluck with things brought only from what we've grown. That would make drumsticks a very different food.

I know there's a handful (two that I know of) restaraunts that grow as much as possible, one in Mass and one in Oregon (or is it Washington?). The Calico Cow uses as many spices as it can from their own little herb garden out back....

• lotsaplants
    18 years ago

Taste the leaves...they taste like pea pods.
    Good in soups or salads!

Sharon

• paperwhite
    18 years ago

tomatofreak,

Email me your address and i will be happy to send you some seeds.

lotsaplants,
    You are right the leaves are good too.

Here are some pictures i took of the tree this morning. It produced fruit/pods twice a year, once in spring and once in Fall. I have two medium trees and one small. The two medium are next to west facing block wall.

{{gwi:423616}}

{{gwi:423618}}

My tamarind tree that i grew from seed and planted in the ground this fall. The seed pods and leaves are used for cooking.

{{gwi:423620}}

• marie5
    18 years ago

I would love to obtain these seeds. If someone is willing to share I would be happy to pay for them. This is a very interesting tree. I did an internet search and I am anxious to grow one and test it out on my family.

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,

Great post, pics, and info. Paperwhite, the drumstick seeds you shared with me at the gardenweb swap have sprouted too. They're only about an inch or so in height, but I'm so excited about them. Thanks again for sharing them.

I planted half of them the day of the Swap, and kept half for spring. I have a question though:'

Should I/we leave our little plants out for the winter? Or should we bring them indoors? I know the larger plants are hardy enough for here but curious to know your suggestions for our babies.

Thanks again for the great seeds. I'm really excited. I'm going to have to bother you for some recipes now, heh heh.

Take care,
    Grant

• paperwhite
    18 years ago

Grant,

You are right. On cold nights you could bring in your seedlings to a warmer part of your patio. Since they grow quickly they should be bigger by the time it is dec/jan. Come march you can plant them outside.

If anyone else is interested in seeds please email me seperately and i will post them. I still have a few left and will have more come spring.

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Thanks for the extra advice for our babies. I'll leave them outside but will bring them indoors if we get a predicted frost. They're making very nice progress and now have their first set of true leaves. I'll leave them in their current pot until spring.

Thanks again for your generosity with the seeds and with the cultural information. :)

Take care,
    Grant

• sasisuci_rediffmail_com
    17 years ago

hai guys,
    iam searching a lot for some drumstick seeds.happy to find this page.iam from florida.please please guys ,if some one as some drumstick seeds please send me some.
    thank you.
    sasi

• shuss
    17 years ago

I am from East India. Drumsticks/Moringa happen to be a very common vegetable used for cooking in India. The pulp found inside the vegetable is the one that is edible. Hence they are usually found in dishes which have some gravy. This makes the pulp soft and the dish tasty :). The leaves are also rich with vitamins and there are several dishes that are made out of them. My wife is crazy about them. I might get some to suprise her.

We used to have a tree in India many years ago, but I remember it attracted a hairy caterpillar whose hair gave humans a severe itching and rashes. We had to burn that tree every year to get rid of the pest. What can I say, the tree was fire resistant ;)

I hope the pests are not an issue here in AZ :)

• organic_jodi
    17 years ago

Could anybody send me some drumstick seeds....
    Thanks.

• mahlerlover
    17 years ago

Are the flowers scented?

• sjacob
    14 years ago

Hi, Paperwhite, I was searching for drumstick seeds and came across this forum. I would love to get some drumstick seeds, if you have some. thanks.

• padma_2009
    14 years ago

Hi sjacob,

I live in Phoenix. I am expecting some Drumstick seeds in a couple of weeks. If I am able to get them, I can share them with you.

Padma

• sjacob
    14 years ago

We are in Texas. I would really appreciate it if we could get some of those seeds. thanks.

• padma_2009
    14 years ago

Hi sjacob,

Just check this link next week towards the end. i will put in a message and my mail id when i receive it. Do u want any Jackfruit seeds too?

Padma

• sjacob
    14 years ago

I don't know if jackfruit will grow here in Texas. But we could try. We are from kerala. how about you?

thanks, siju

• padma_2009
    14 years ago

Hi sjacob, (siju),

I am from Andhra... :) Jackfruits do grow in Texas as I got my fruit from Texas.. My mail id is ambadipudipadma@hotmail.com I got some veggie seeds from India. My cousins living in Arlington, Texas, will be visiting us this long weekend. If u send a mail I can find a way to send u some seeds.

Padma

• Shreyachunnu_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I live in Phoenix, AZ .I have this drumstick tree from 3 years. The first year in a pot and 2 years in the ground. The first year in the ground, the tree had lot of leaves and flowers, but the flowers never made it to fruits. Now, the tree grew almost 9 ft tall, but there are hardly any leaves, flowers. It is just a tree with branches. I am not sure what is wrong with it. Can somebody give suggestions about growing a healthy drumstick tree..
    Thanks in advance.

• nutcr0cker
    13 years ago

shreya---drumstick tree is drought resistant ensure to have not too compacted soil. they do love nitrogen rich soil but are fine in alkaline soil. I added a little bit of bokashi and some steer manure that helped the tree a lot.

• chunnu
    13 years ago

Thanks a lot nutcr0cker. what is bokashi? I will try loosening the soil around the tree. Also I will try to get some manure and nitrogen based plant food for the tree. So too much watering might also inhibit the growth?
    Appreciate your help

Shreya

• nutcr0cker
    13 years ago

Too much watering can be disastrous for a lot of tropical plants(learnt it the hard way with my papayas). It deprives the roots of oxygen. Bokashi is basically fermented/composted kitchen scraps http://www.compostguy.com/bokashi-resource-page/
    The bokashi tea is very acidic. I use a diluted form(I think that might also be helping to reduce the PH level) Making the bokashi bran(wheat bran fermented in EM-1 innocolunt) can be slightly tedious process but you only have to do it once a year.
    If the compaction is causing your problem I would say dig around the plant and replace the soil with composted mulch. remember drumstick tree is a very soft tree a full strength miracle grow will kill a small plant.

• sma3har
    12 years ago

After seeing the pics of drumstick, i feel like growing some. If possible can you share some seeds.

• greendesert
    12 years ago

yeah I'm interested in some seeds as well. please!!!!

• greenbarn
    12 years ago

I've got 6" drumstick seedlings growing inside, along with tomatoes and other summer crops. It may be crazy because I know they're trees, but I fell in love with drumstick curries while traveling in Sri Lanka. I've been growing Murraya koenigii (curry leaf plant) in pots for five years, taking them outside during the summer. Can drumsticks grow in a pot too? Also, some of the leaves are turning yellowish. Nothing else I'm growing has this problem. I've tried dilute seaweed solution, more light, less light...

• greenbarn
    12 years ago

I've got 6" drumstick seedlings growing inside, along with tomatoes and other summer crops. It may be crazy because I know they're trees, but I fell in love with drumstick curries while traveling in Sri Lanka. I've been growing Murraya koenigii (curry leaf plant) in pots for five years, taking them outside during the summer. Can drumsticks grow in a pot too? Also, some of the leaves are turning yellowish. Nothing else I'm growing has this problem. I've tried dilute seaweed solution, more light, less light...

• meshullamivri_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I live in phoenix, AZ and would really like to get seed of the Moringa.
    does anyone still have any

• vidnand
    12 years ago

I am interested in growing drumstick trees.. Could somebody send me some seeds..

Thanks,

-V-

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I would also love to get some moringa seeds.

• tnadu
    11 years ago

Check this link. You can gather more information.
    http://tamilnadu.com/herbs/drumstick.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Drumstick

• thisisme
    11 years ago

I did a google image search and after looking at many pictures I decided I wanted to grow this tree.

I just purchased 10 seeds on eBay for $ 1.00 plus $ 2.50 shipping for a total of $ 3.50

• greendesert
    11 years ago

I have 9 of these trees thisisme. I started them from seed in January, and have already pruned them back once. I planted them in 2L plastic bottles because I like to be able to see the root development. (of course you have to be careful not to expose the bottles to direct sun because that would heat up the root area too much. I can't wait to plant them in the ground soon. I'm thinking of planting them close together to get some privacy from neighbors. Too bad they grow so whispy.

• mani73
    9 years ago

Hi I live in BC Canada, does anyone know if I can plant drumsticks plants out side in the ground.I was kind of scared. We get snow during winter so

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

How do they taste? I hear some varieties taste better than others.

• nutcr0cker
    9 years ago

Drumstick trees grew good here. My tree is 16ft high and had lots of drumsticks this year. They do like lots of water though

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Can they be grown in pots?

• Jacq Davis
    9 years ago

mani73, You will have to grow it in a pot. They are not hardy in the winter.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

In Zone 9b, they are hardy. Mine never missed a beat!

Still learning about the tree though. Recipes are lacking. Noticeable health benefits though. My naturally gray hair is turning brown, and the new hairs are not me. Wiry with a mind of their own.

It's the energy tree.

• vidnand
    9 years ago

Hi, I am looking for some moringa seeds. I'll really appreciate if somebody can share with me.

Thanks,

Vidyaa

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz