Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertmama_gw

planting guide cannas

desertmama
15 years ago

can I plant canna rhizomes in November in Arizona low desert area?

Comments (5)

• bowldog
    15 years ago

I would like some ideas on planting some ground cover on both sides of my walkway. My front door is facing west so it will get shade for half the day. I live in Sierra Vista. Like to have it low maintenance if possible

• juju222
    15 years ago

desertmama, I live in Sun City and have seen canna lilies growing and blooming here. I don't know when you would plant them (do you just have the bulb?).

I have one that I bought last year in a pot and it stays outside on the east side of the house and does fine (well, it hasn't bloomed yet, but then I haven't fertilized it either).

• aikanae
    15 years ago

cannas do well here. They stay green in winter, but if it's below 70F they will be dormant. They only brown up if it gets below 40F (but survive).

The reason why it's important to remember they are dormant while still green is because if you water them, their roots can turn to mush. Once they are established, they are more forgiving. I don't see a problem planting them now if you keep that in mind. I also only plant them about a third of the way under the soil. Some of mine still end up on top of the soil and they do fine. It's better drainage I guess.

• desertmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone ! I had received a gunny sack full of canna rhizomes with brown stems/leaves shorn to about 3-4 inches...I planted most in the ground along a chainlink fence along the east side...I planted a few in pots, kept on the south deck where they would receive sun from early a.m. til mid-afternoon. The potted ones are the only ones showing any signs of life, thus far ! In fact, one rhizome sprouted five plants, which I separated into 3 and 2 plant sections and planted them in the ground on the west side...that was two weeks ago and so far, so good ! Still no sign from those planted inground back in November...

We've had quite a bit of rain in the last two months or so, which is unusual...this worries me about the rhizomes planted in ground...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and "cheering" them on !

I know that some of them are red and some yellow, but I don't know which is which ! So I'll be pleasantly surprised...soon, I hope ! LOL

Thank you for your advice and encouragement...I'll keep you posted on the progress made by my new canna lilies !

• aikanae
    15 years ago

The planted pots will get warmer which is why those might be growing now. Once the ground warms up, you'll see those come up too. My experience with pots is during the hottest months, they "cook" plants - like my oven would. Incas ate canna corns like potatoes.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH