Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
well my agave did have grubs

Posted by calb_gardner (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 22:26

well my big agave is gone ...surprisingly not the one that I thought was sick. but one of my biggest.
so today was spent pulling it out and digging up all the dirt and grubs.
Man there were tons of them.
I treated the area and all the rest(I have 30 plants ) with Bayer systemic tree and shrub protect and feed. it has 1.47% imidacloprid
I mixed 6oz in 3gal of water. I hope that was right I had to wing it on the measuring. the directions say treat again in 12 mts but I think I should do it sooner
Any suggestions???

I will try to post some snaps in another thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: well my agave did have grubs

Imidacloprid is the stuff to use. My experience seems to indicate that once every 12 mos. is better in climates with shorter growing seasons, but I'm waiting for official research to confirm or deny that. In the absence of firm evidence, it's smart to take the bottle instructions as truth,

One thing you can do to prevent the grubs from coming back is to sprinkle permethrin granules around the base of the plants in March and April to kill the adult beetles before they lay eggs.

Good luck! : )

o
RE: well my agave did have grubs

Sorry to hear it really WAS agaves--not fun at all. I've only used the ready-to-spray Imidacloprid stuff so I can't help you on any of their other formulations, but it's great stuff to use for sure. The ready to use spray suggests reapplying after 30 days I think. In any case, good luck and do keep us posted.

Thanks for emailing me your pics. Below are two of them embedded (I hope) and in the link section is a link to a small public photo album I made that has all of the six or so pics you emailed me just in case some folks can't see the embedded pics.

Calb_gardner's agaves

Calb_gardner's agaves' weevils.

Sorry again and super good luck. My agaves and I live in constant fear about these weevils, LOL.

Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Calb_gardner's agave weevil pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here